Dell optiplex cannot detect hard drive - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2004, 07:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Unhappy Dell optiplex cannot detect hard drive

Got a problem, scoured the net, could not find a solution. Couple of problems, appreciate any help anyone might be able to lend.

I have acquired a Dell Optiplex GX1 350 (Pentium II) with a Quantum Viking II 2.0GB hard drive, slow CD-ROM, 4MB Video and NIC card.

I installed Windows 98SE on it with no problems. Then, I acquired a 32MB video card. I opened the case, realized it was the wrong kind of slot, so I put the case back together and tried to reboot.

First issue: Received a message on bootup saying PXE-E61 - media test failure, check cable. I read up on this and everything I could find suggested that the system was trying to boot through the network card (no network hooked up at this time), so I disabled it.

Now comes my big issue, when booting now, the system could not find a boot device. The hard drive is SCSI, and the BIOS advises to select NONE for the setting if it is a SCSI device (it's one of those BIOS that allows primary/secondary with choices of AUTO, NONE, and other drive types with cylinders, heads, and sectors).

The hard drive spins on startup, but for the life of me, I can't get this thing detected. I unplugged and plugged the cables back in, nothing. Removed it, put it back in, still same thing.

I am at a loss, I simply need the thing to detect the hard drive... any ideas? I'm open to pop ups if I'm around. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-29-2004, 10:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Dell optiplex cannot detect HD

Had the same error message...
Solution, Go into the BIOS and remove PXE from the boot order. This will stop the PC from trying to boot off the network.
Closed Thread