Dell laptop problem! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 05-26-2004, 06:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Dell laptop problem!

hey everyone! i'm new to the forums and i hope you can help me out!

i have a dell inspiron 4000, i just replaced the motherboard, i used the old processor, memory, and harddrive. my problem is that if the computer has been sitting for a while, it will boot up fine and run for about 10 mins then the computer will just suddenly shut off, like if i pulled the plug.

after it shuts off by itself, i have to pull the plug, replug it in to boot it up, it won't even finish booting up windows before it shuts off again...have to wait a few hours then it works for about 10 min again....

i thought it might be because of overheating, but i installed a fan controller program and now the fan is on all time, the cpu temp stays around 40 degrees.

Can this be a bad processor, memory, or harddrive?

pentium III 1ghz
128 ram
10 gig HD
win ME

Old 05-27-2004, 03:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

thanks for the reply,
This program is made to work with dell laptops, i can turn on the fans whenever i want to or set it to certain temps to turn on, pretty nice program...

any other ideas? i put in good memory today and it does the same thing, so i know its not a memory issue....processor?? anyone know where to get cheap processors? its a 1gthz pen III step code SL53S

Old 05-27-2004, 04:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

does anybody know what other mhz pen 3 i can interchange? i don't mind going down to a 800mhz what should i look for to find a compatible chip? what is the difference between 495 pin PPGA and micro-PGA2? anybody know what the numbers and letters mean on a pentium 3 sspec number?? thanks!
Closed Thread