Dell Fan Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dell3000

Beta member
Bought a dell demension 3000 becasue the price was right and it came with a 17" monitor. Only problem other than no AGP or PCI Express slots is the prcessor fan, its Noisy! Noisier than any PC processor fan I've ever heard. Had dell replace fan and send new PC - Still noisy. I belive its now because I ordered a 3.0 HT 800 FSB in a low level PC with not the best cooling. The cooling system is a 120mm exhaust fan with a hood to the processor. I flashed the bios with the newest from dell - no luck. Thinking of replacing the 120mm fan and hood with a quiet heat sink/fan and a quiet 120mm case fan. Only problem is dell motherboard connecting plug is not standard its propritary dell. Would it hurt the motherboard If I spliced these wires after the plug and ran it to the heatsink/fan? I know what wires should go were but I know 1 wire monitors the fan speed. Is this fan going to work properly and not alarm the motherboard? (2500rpm) or should a guy splice it to the 120mm case fan I'm going to install? (1500rpm) Will it speed up when the processor gets hotter? Thanks :D

Well if you know what your doing no, but one of those wires falls lose and WOOM there goes your motherboard because you just shorted it out. Your choice, I would leave it and put it under a desk or away from you, could get a fan controller to turn it down when your not gaming or something.

-Ryan

Maybe this will work for ya...

Dell Dimension 3000: noisy, but fixable
by dlevasseur,Jan 25 '05
Pros: Very cost-effective PC, pre-configured for most common needs.
Cons: Noisy fan and cooling system (see above for fix)

We bought the Dell Dimension 3000 for my wife since her P2-266 had seen its day. Setup was easy, no major hiccups. The only thing that really bugged me (but not my wife) was the cooling system noise. I found if I tipped the PC off vertical even a little the noise would abate. Finally, after putting up with it for a week I took it apart and noted that the fan cowling isn't securely mounted to anything, just sort of snapped into place creating an obvious source for mechanical noise. I'm not proud of the fix, but by rolling up a paper towel and placing it just inside the case's mounting ledge and the fan cowling I was able to reduce the noise to a nearly insignificant level.

I can't upload a picture of the solution here but you can visit my web site, davelevasseur.com you can take a look for yourself. This site doesn't allow direct hyperlinks (understandable policy) so you'll have to copy the above info into your browser yourself. I hope Dell can provide a fix for this in future production.

Well the price is NEVER right for dell

Splicing is OK, but it will void your warranty (hey, if it breaks, you can just buy a better one)

Try the paper towel, you can also do better with foam and possibly rubber gaskets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom