Delay turn on - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2017, 01:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Delay turn on

Anytime I turn on my computer, it takes the monitor at least a minute to recognize what signal it is plugged into the computer before it even turns on and shows me the boot. Is there a reason why? When my computer finally shows the splash screen for the motherboard everything goes instant after that, but turning it on and getting a connection takes forever.

I have the BenQ XL2430 connected with a DVI-Dual Link.

Qsirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Delay turn on

What's your machine specs?

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Here is the CPU-Z of my build
Old 11-15-2017, 02:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

Are you overclocked at all or using any modified settings in the bios? It could be trying to post but can't then resetting to default settings and finally posting.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Nothing is overclocked. Only thing in settings I tried to do was turn on fastboot to see if that would combat the problem but it didnít
Old 11-18-2017, 12:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Build Guru

There's not a whole lot that can be done if it's taking the system a while to post but it is posting. As in, unless somebody is familiar with that particular board and bios I'm not sure we could be of much help. I could go through the manual pdf and maybe guess but that's it. I can say that I wasn't particularly pleased with X99 as a platform, as my eVGA board took a while to post as well.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I have an MSI X58 1366 board that would take a while to post after you push the power button. I did have two of these boards at one time they they both took several seconds to start the boot process. I just figured it was the way they made the boards, it's never taken more than a several seconds, although one might think minutes. Not sure how that relates to your board but their are some boards that seem to take longer to initialize post than others
Old 11-18-2017, 12:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
I have an MSI X58 1366 board that would take a while to post after you push the power button. I did have two of these boards at one time they they both took several seconds to start the boot process. I just figured it was the way they made the boards, it's never taken more than a several seconds, although one might think minutes. Not sure how that relates to your board but their are some boards that seem to take longer to initialize post than others
I have found that a lot of Intel's HEDT boards go through post initialization twice which adds about 15 seconds or so to regular post. My Asus X79 board would start, stop, and start again like it had a failed OC even after a fresh bios clear. It drove me mad which is part of the reason why I moved to X99. My eVGA board goes through like 6 post tests before even showing anything on the screen. Went back to mainstream and Windows is loading before my screen even flicks on the content my computer is showing.

Access to my Plex PM me.