Defrag Blues...HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark4man

Baseband Member
People,

After reading an article in Sound On Sound magazine, I used Norton Speed Disk to configure my audio data to the "Files First" positioning on my audio drive (In my project studioÂ’s workstation PC...I have both a local drive for the OS & programs & a dedicated audio drive for digital audio data.)

The optimization didn't seem to bring any performance benefits in SONAR (my recording software)...but...I couldn't just leave well enough alone, I guess.

So I surmised that...if the audio data streams more efficiently from a "Files First" audio disk location...the program files on the local drive should also; & I went about painstakingly entering folder paths for all my SONAR program files (operational files, graphic caches, plug-ins, etc., etc.)

After optimization, tho...the programÂ’s operation has bogged down to near dropout level; & I've noticed in SONAR's CPU usage meter that a higher percentage is now present; & that the graphics are super slow.

So my questions are: 1) How do I at least get back to where I was, for god's sake ??? My stock defragger is the Windows XP defragger, which I'm told is a watered down version of Diskeeper...(the British program.) Is this true? The only reason I used Speed Disk is because I was also told that the XP defragger, although efficient...doesn't defrag the MFT, Directory & various other system files. Is this true?

2) Will it help if I go back & defrag my local drive with the XP defragger? (i.e., will it put the program files back where they were...or will it just organize what's already there?)

3) Should I go out & get the full version of Diskeeper; & configure it to perform a “typical” or “default” defrag (& in that way get the system files defragged...if the above is true?)

And finally...where exactly SHOULD high intensity programs (graphic art, photo editing, digital audio workstations) be located on the local drive FOR optimum performance ??? Did I do the right thing? ('cause it sure doesn't seem so.)

Thanks very much,

mark4man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom