Debating my new sound card. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 07:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS
Default Debating my new sound card.

So this is what I am thinking of.
http://www.m-audio.ca/products/en_us...2496-main.html

As some of you know, I blew my soundcard about a few days ago. Now I do some music production (it sucks, so dont ask for anything, kthx) and I also record analog audio. And I am a hardcore gamer.

Now I have my positives and negatives.

*Positives*
-Cheap, really really good sounding sound card. Will give me sound only a tiny bit away from thousand dollar cards.
-Proper musical midi connectors.
-Ultra Low Latency.

*Negatives*
-Not SBLive compatable, will not like games if it even plays audio from them. Also has a lack of game hardware features.
-Lack of features, this card is very simple, stero analog and stero digital, 1 in 1 out of both.

Old 10-04-2005, 09:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

what about you get that card for your music production, then a cheap SB card (Live, Audigy 1, 2 Value) for gaming

Old 10-04-2005, 09:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

If you are a hardcore gamer, I would seriously consider the X-fi XtremeMusic, or if you have the money, the Fatal1ty FPS. M-Audio is great for music; but it simply dosn't cut it for gaming. It lacks support for EAX 3.0+, which is being used in almost all games now. Do not get a cheap SB live, these cards really suck. Do not get an Audigy 1 either, as the Audigy 1 series was a complete failure and was quickly replaced with the much better Audigy 2. If you can't afford an X-fi get at least an Audigy2 ZS, you can ge the OEM version on newegg for $70 last I checked. The Audigy2 value also dosn't support EAX4.0 like the ZS, and 4.0 is what is being used in UT2004, Doom 3, BF2, HL2, and all newer games. The X-fi supports 5.0, however the only game that currently supports that is BF2.

EDIT:
If you do music production, I would definatly suggest the X-fi Fatal1ty FPS , because it has a breakout box, and more recording features.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I would presume, you have to make some decisions man. I am not much of an audiophile, so won't really make a comment on the "choice of sound card". But, companies usually never make cards/peripherals that are "good" at a 2 different things at the professional level - for a reasonable price. It is ridiculous to think you can get anything around $100-200 that is good at gaming "and" music at a professional level.

As someone said, why don't you investigated the possibility of having 2 cards in your system. The cheap man's way out so to speak. If you don't have 2 computers for gaming and music, what can ya do right?
Old 10-04-2005, 10:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Originally posted by 003
Do not get an Audigy 1 either, as the Audigy 1 series was a complete failure
I have an Audigy LS, and I don't have any problems with it
Old 10-04-2005, 10:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

The problems with the card are not that it didn't fuction properly, but that creative lied about it's specs. it also dosn't support EAX 4.0+
Old 10-04-2005, 03:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

Well not getting the fatality version, because I will never purcahse a product with fagal1ty in it's name.

I went ahead and purchased the card. I will see how well it handles it games for now, I can always use the intergrated sound for gaming.

And for you that think even X-FI is creative's line for music production, X-FI is unsuited for music production, and the Creative EMU line is what they intend for music production and recording.

I may get an X-FI for gaming, eventually I will have a small form factor PC for audio, and a full size gaming PC anyways.

Closed Thread