The death of the transistor? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 08:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
As for gaming, I have a feeling we'll move away from the 2D screens - well eventually. I think virtual reality on a desktop will be the future.
ehhh, not in this lifetime.......nothing will beat out gaming with the mouse and keyboard. There's no way in hell you'd have a virtual reality goin on and your movements dictate the characters......try imagining bunny hopping in counter strike 10 or whatever they'd have out, that'd be ridiculous.

It's going to be on a monitor for a long time, up until you swear you are watching a movie, then they'll have to think of a way to make it better because sooner or later graphics really won't be able to get any 'better' after a certain point.

Old 04-20-2005, 09:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Technology is sucha beautiful thing, plateaus after plateaus. lol.

Quote:
Ricer: from the latin word Ricarius meaning to suck at everything you attempt.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Nubius
ehhh, not in this lifetime.......nothing will beat out gaming with the mouse and keyboard. There's no way in hell you'd have a virtual reality goin on and your movements dictate the characters......try imagining bunny hopping in counter strike 10 or whatever they'd have out, that'd be ridiculous.
I didn't mean that we will have a "virtual reality" type machine that u see in arcades, in ur room . What I meant was having a sort of a headset that you can put around ur head. They had mainstream units like that in the past, but they never caught on b/c the graphics sucked. And I certainly didn't have one b/c I was a little kid and had no $$.

In anycase, having to "jump" and twist ur body like a Romanian gymnast is not what I envision. After all, most of us play games to relax. When I want to workout I go to the gym..

But I think processors would become suffciently powerful that it will give u a "live" feed of the environment as if u were there. U can still use a k/b and mouse like u always do. After all, how many of us actually "look" at the k/b when gaming! It'll be like fighting enemies while inside a techno suit. The visuals will be amazing. The headset can be configured to follow the movements of the player to change their perspective of the environment, but the actual "action" and physical movements can be controlled by a traditional controller. It wouldn't work now, b/c however nice the graphics are in Doom3 or HL2, it does not look like a real environment. And creating a 3D image of a 2D screen I am sure is a lot processor intensive than creating a 3D env. in a head set
Old 04-20-2005, 09:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
Build Guru

what if gaming went to be holographic and we could be the real master cheif w/ the suite and guns and ****. that would be really awesome don t ya think?

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
I Rule You

Send a message via AIM to FadingTheory Send a message via Yahoo to FadingTheory

Quote:
what if gaming went to be holographic and we could be the real master cheif w/ the suite and guns and ****. that would be really awesome don t ya think?
Yah, untill you get hit with a rocket. :P
Old 04-20-2005, 09:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
Build Guru

well since its holographic you would just respawn. see what im talkign about? would be so fun!!

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Check this article out. Pretty much exactly what I said about Virtual Reality Headsets. And it's a reality. But, it'll be a while till the picture that comes through will look absolutely "real" when playing a FPS for example.

But imagine also having a couple of foot pedals that you can use (while sitting on a chair) to jump. Not gonna be "that" phycally exerting. Not like gamers are THAT lazy . And also you can hold a gun with the same gyroscope technology that can tell which direct it is moving. If we spend thousands of dollars on gaming machines - while a non gamer can get away with a $400 computer, it's not too unrealistic that gamers will buy this stuff in the future

Of course as I've said before, alternatively, a mouse or k/b is still good to go!
Old 04-21-2005, 05:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master Techie

Sounds pretty cool. But holy crap, $900...id rather get me an FX-55. About holding a gun in ur hand, there is something like that already here.

-AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchestor
-MSI K8N Neo4-F
-Sapphire Radeon X850 XT
-2x 1024 Corsair XMS Pro

<form action=\"http://www.srsyo.org/tfsearch.php\" method=\"get\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"><input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value="Search!"></form> Search TF before you post!
Old 04-21-2005, 05:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Yeah I remember the headset that they had way back when, forgot what it was called though, but yeah, my ears tire after a while of headphones, I can't imagine a whole headset feeding crap into my brain.

hell lets just go matrix style, that way you aren't technically moving!

It's just your brain being fed into a computer generated room but if you DIE.........YOU DIE!!! So you better be an uber player
Old 04-21-2005, 05:13 PM   #20 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Gives all new meaning to the word "Hardcore mode".. Like in Diablo II. lol

Closed Thread