Dead Maxtor HDD - Warranty Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

quantass

Baseband Member
own a Maxtor 5T040H4 40 GB ATA100 HDD for my PC. It has done the click of death, has SMART failures, and has had cold boot spin-up issues. At times Windows XP is unable to detect the drive. However after using PowerMax it still reports the drive as PASSED. It does not issue any special RMA # which is required before one can have their HDD drive RMA serviced. My drive has been in my system for around 2years, and according to Maxtor's site is still under warranty til Jan 2005.

On Maxtor's site I've tried their Replacement Services selecting "SMART Failure" as the Error with the drive but it then tells me to get a PowerMax error #, but unfortunately none is ever provided. I've redone the Replacement Services step and instead of selecting SMART Failure I've selected "Drive Not Spinning" and this has allowed me to enter in my contact details and credit card # to receive a replacement drive in exchange for the old drive.

Now my HDD has had activating issues on boot up requiring an almost 1 minute delay before the HDD finally kicks in and the BIOS recognizes it and some times the drive isnt detected altogether in BIOS or Windows. This is NOT a common enough problem yet, and so Im wondering if I can class my HDD as "Drive Not Spinning".

Its nice that Maxtor allows me to issue them a credit card in order to receive a new HDD in replacement for the old one which is to be returned within 30 days. My question is if I do go for this approach and select "Drive Not Spinning" is it possible that Maxtor cold label my drive as functional, that is, "Drive IS Spinning" (which it is capable of most times) and then "bill" my credit card OR do they simply ask for their new HDD back ?

Come to thjink of it, do they even send out *new* HDD for warranty replacement?

Thanks.

Well my graphics card had a 1 year warrenty I believe. Got it in april..didn't work with my asus board..got new board in may..finally got to use card with board...card burnt out in July.....contacted manufacturer two months later (earlier this month :p ) they send me RMA Number after I've described the problem. I send it to them and pay $6 for shipping, they sent a card back about two weeks later :D

Simply put, you should be able to request an RMA number and send in your old HD and they should replace it, simple as that :D and yes it'd be brand NEW because my card had a much smaller heatsink and fan on it and now has heatsinks where there wasn't before lol so in my case they sent me a 'revised' version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom