DDR333 in a 266 slot

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddogsdhs

Baseband Member
My motherboard only supports up to ddr266, can i put 333 in without it crashing, or will this mess stuff up? I ask because i purchased 256 of ddr333 on accident.

I think you might be able to use it, but it will only run at 266. I'm not 100% on this. I may wait for MicroBell or Martin to chime in.

I certainly do not wish to speak for all motherboard manufac. but I have sucessfully done this with a few ASUS boards as well as my own Shuttle motherboard. They call for 266MHz DDR and I placed PC2700 333MHz DDR in the bank and it worked fine.
You are not going to "fry" the board or the RAM by trying. It will either not work in that board or it will work but only at 266MHz.

-Michael

i confirm that too. when i put corsair XMS memory pc3200 in a biostar board that supported pc2700 max, it underlocked it to pc2700 automatically.

coolbeans, i dropped it in the slot, and booted it up and it seems to work. Im running it on a dumpy third computer im building for lan and cs gaming. Thanks a lot for the time and help, i appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom