DDR3 Memory: Technology Explained - by benchmarkreviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildside

Hellfire!
DDR3 RAM: System Memory Technology Explained | DDR3,DDR3 RAM,DDR3 Technology,XMP,Fly-by,DDR3 RAM: System Memory Technology Explained | Benchmark Reviews Performance Tests

once again, things r further explained technically but this time i got the bold print, list of info needed to better understand what the author is trying to make, n im lazy to read everything and summarize it myself :p.

each quote is a post from different sections, like power consumption, prefetch buffer, speeds, Fly-by, n XMP.

DDR3 SDRAM Component Features:

*Support of system level flight time compensation
*On-DIMM mirror friendly DRAM pin out
*Introduction of CAS Write Latency per speed bin
*Asynchronous reset function is now available
*On-die I/O calibration engine
*Automatic data bus line read and write calibration

DDR3 Module Improvements:

*Higher bandwidth performance increase, up to 1600 MHz per spec
*Fly-by command/address/control bus with on-DIMM termination
*High precision calibration resistors construction
*Performance increase at low power
*Enhanced low power features conserve energy
*Improved thermal design now operates cooler

the worst piece of misinformation I see spread in enthusiast forums is how DDR3 simply picks up speed where DDR2 left off

DDR3 system memory reduces the base power consumption level by nearly 17%

One particularly important new change introduced with DDR3 is in the improved prefetch buffer: up from DDR2's four bits to an astounding eight bits per cycle.

DDR Speed-----Memory clock-----Cycle time-----FSB Bus clock-----Module name-----Peak transfer rate
DDR3-800------100 MHz----------10 ns----------400 MHz----------PC3-6400--------6400 MB/s
DDR3-1066-----133 MHz----------7.5 ns---------533 MHz----------PC3-8500--------8533 MB/s
DDR3-1333-----166 MHz----------6 ns-----------667 MHz----------PC3-10600-------10667 MB/s
DDR3-1600-----200 MHz----------5 ns-----------800 MHz----------PC3-12800-------12800 MB/s

The Fly-by topology removes the mechanical line balancing limitations of DDR2, and replaces it with an automatic signal time delay generated by the controller fixed at the memory system training.

XMP manages everything from the CPU multiplier, to voltage and front side bus frequencies.

my opinion about DDR3 is that yes it will replace DDR2 but not anytime soon. The prices r still high n unfortunately not everyone is ready to hit the DDR3 wagon yet. Until i see lower prices like DDR2 after like a year or so then ill be concern about it. Same reason i chose 32-bit over 64-bit when i was choosing between OS's of Vista Ultimate. Most ppl are suitable for 32-bit because of capable programs, softwares, n such supporting more for 32-bit. Until DDR3 n 64-bit become a standard like DDR2 n 32-bit, im staying DDR2 n 32-bit.

Feel free to express ur opinions about DDR3.

holy crap, my first sticky!

oh n if u mods feel that there needs to be more quotes from that article stating anything important feel free to do so.

oh so non sticky the thread?

n Apok, i just stating out what is standard now in most computers is all, just an opinion or statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom