DDR3 by 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something tells me it's going to crash and burn miserably in the same fashion as Rambus. It's a good innovation yes, but we're still looking at DDR1 holding at least 75% of the market at this point and time.

However, this means that DDR2 prices will coming crashing down, therefore AMD makes the switch to them, and I'm a happy panda. This development isn't going to sway my buying decisions at all.

Yeah but this is coming from Samsung Gaara. They are the industry leaders in System RAM and graphics card RAM modules. They aren't some BS company coming up with just random new innovations. They got their shyte down and know what they are doing as far as creating the best stuff out there.

Still, we've been bombarded with hardware changes this year, going from AGP to PCI-E requires a new mobo, CPU, PSU, graphics card, and then it might require DDR2 within a year, or then perhaps DDR3, it's getting ridiculous, it's impossible to keep up

Oh no, I'm not saying the technology behind it isn't going to be good, it'll be amazing as far as I'm concerned, it's just too soon for it. It's not going to be appealing to consumers based on the fact that it'll have limited compatibility, and it'll cost wayyy too much.

Yup, no doubt it would cost a small fortune...bah...these uprades in hardware are nice, really pushing the limits of computing, but man, they are switching it all up too quickly

Yeah, I think computers these days are only good for one "major" upgrade. After that, it's just better to to build everything from scratch :s.. Evolving way too fast. :s

Nubius said:
Yup, no doubt it would cost a small fortune...bah...these uprades in hardware are nice, really pushing the limits of computing, but man, they are switching it all up too quickly

Progress gets progressively faster, usually does.

The only people affected are guys like many of the one's that hang in places like this--->gamers,for the rest of the folks out there, this kind of thing isnt too important really.For the majority of personal computer users out there, the manufactuerers hit the overkill zone long ago.Doesnt take much to web surf, do office tasks, and play or watch media.

In some ways im liking it, the hardware that is obsolete now is still good for lots of tasks, and its dirt cheap because of all this "progress".Heck, a person can have a decent and capable PC these days for what many of you pay for a graphics card LOL.

I used to chase the hardware a few years ago, I remember the first time I paid $400 for a graphics card, I remember thinking "this is way out of hand", prices havent changed that much, the hardware has just gotten better.But what was $400 a couple years ago now can be had for $20-$30 in many cases.Thats one thing about PC hardware, there's essentially no equity, its a never ending vicious cycle to stay at the cutting edge.

Doesnt take much to web surf, do office tasks, and play or watch media.
Yeah but to do that takes like a 750MHz duron IF that and windows 95. TheMajors computer is what...300MHz and he never complains about it or anything and seems to get around just fine on it.

So yeah of course it's gamers, or people who like 3d work, photoshopping, things of that nature.

But in terms of gaming I hate basically thinking "Without being rich you'll never see better than medium graphics" thats lame.

Might as well buy an Xbox, a one time investment and you're guaranteed your games for that will be playable at 'max settings'

Well, unfortunately the reasons youve listed above are exactly why I got out of it.Back in the day of flight sim98,x-plane, etc etc, I used to have 3 or 4 vid cards cause games were buggy as could be and would only run properly with certain cards LOL, it rapidly became a $3000/year investment that was worthless in 8-9months just to keep up with memory,CPU's,and vid cards.

These days, to play dvd's, do most basic stuff, and not have to worry about having upgrade very often, a person can easily build a system for a few hundred bucks.Ive got a duron 800 I still use regularly, and I got it when it first came out a LONG time ago, it does just fine, heck when it was new it did quite well with games, now on Doom 3 the FPS is like 8-10fps(read not playable).But for everything else it does just fine, its a good stable workhorse.Probelm is for what I paid for it then, I can easily build a system thats 4-6 times faster, that sucks bigtime, makes me feel used.Your not alone, progress waits for nobody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom