Ddr2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkinnyJoint

Beta member
ok these may be a couple of stupid questions but should be easy. im just wondering if ddr2 memory sticks are compabitable with regular ddr mobo's...if so what about the dual channel factor will they run dual channel.
if you have to have a newer mobo that supports ddr2 will it run dual channel?
ive heard a couple things about heat coming from ddr2 sticks is this a real issue?

seems like u have it all backward... this artical explains everything.. http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=1977

summary
--------------------------------
-ddr2 is not backward compatable with ddr1
-ddr2 runs cooler then ddr1
-ddr2 at the moment only runs at the same speed as ddr1(ddr2 is not utilized)(except on some of the new LGA intel bourds i think some can run DDR2-666, DDR2-800 should be out soon if not already, not shur when or how expensive though)
-duel channel mode is motherbourd dependent.

And the problem surrounding DDR2, and which is holding it back from blazing DDR, is due to very high latencies timings:confused: Thats the main reason that the new Intel Chipsets can hardly beat the I875/I865 chipsets:(

rofl ok i guess the pin size lol is the biggest diffence. thx for the website that helps out a lot. i wana build a new rig cuz hl2 is coming out soon but i guess im fine. or maybe i will upgrade to a lil bit better of things but thx

And the problem surrounding DDR2, and which is holding it back from blazing DDR, is due to very high latencies timings

no, thats incorrect, im not shur it if was stated in the article i posted or ina diff one, but...

DDR2 is so much faster that the latency settings dont afect it. the thing is right now... most DDR2 bourds only run them at DDR1 speeds, cause ddr2 hase 2x the prefech buffer size as ddr1, so ddr2-400 would be running at 800fsb theretical, but there is nothing right now to support that, so thy cut ddr2's speed in half running it at 100fsb X 4 = 400mhz

What is the deal with DDR3 on the new 6800. Is that a lot faster and will it ever show up in computers. Why is there not much difference in DD2 either, is it like PCI-e where there just isn't the right stuff out yet to support it?

ThirtySixBelow said:
What is the deal with DDR3 on the new 6800. Is that a lot faster and will it ever show up in computers. Why is there not much difference in DD2 either, is it like PCI-e where there just isn't the right stuff out yet to support it?

Expense I think is the deciding factor there:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom