Ddr/ddr2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yon

In Runtime
What is the difference between DDR and DDR2, and also what is the difference between XMS and XMS2?

The difference between DDR and DDR2 is pin out. The DDR has 184pins and the DDR2 has 240pins. So you need one of the new motherboards to use DDR2. The speeds are also different. You can find some information HERE

No, DDR would not fit, different slots for memory. Again its the pin difference. The modules are the same size but installing DDR in a DDR2 board will burn your motherboard out. I do not believe the notch on the DDR boards are the same as the DDR2 boards so it would not seat properly.

So if i got the Asus P5GD2 Premium 915P (LGA775) mobo, does that mean that I'd have to use DDR2?

That is correct... You could not fit DDR into DDR2. Both have a different pin count.

XMS (Extreme Memory Speed) is Corsair's brand of high performing memory. XMS can currently reach up to 500 Mhz (400 Mhz (PC3200) officialy), and it is for the DDR DIMM (184).

XMS2 (Extreme Memory Speed 2) is Corsair's new line of permorming memory for the DDR2 DIMM (240). At the moment, it can reach upto 667 Mhz (PC5400), however, it has the potential to reach much higher speeds. The high frequency makes up for the CAS latency timings.

Yon looks like you're spinning in circles.

CrucialLabs has already clearly explained your question. Either your MB supports DDR2 or it doesn't. If it supports ONLY DDR, you can't use DDR2 - get it? Whether that particular MB supports DD2 ... you can go to Asus's website to find out for sure.

RDRAM is a much faster format of memory (RIMM).

It is currently clocked anywhere from 800-1200 Mhz and has the highest bandwidth possible (to date) per pin. It also features it own unique bus and is capable of reaching upto 10 Gb/s. Not to mention you can have upto 8 Gb running in "quad" channel!

any mobos out there that support quad channel RDRAM? are there and personal, non corporate mobos that support RDRAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom