Data transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul5003

Solid State Member
I had a dell inspiron 5150 for 2 years, i had soo many problems with it that dell has sent me a new inspiron 9400. This has a different hard drive, now remember, i have the old dell, it has to be sent back but i need to do my data transfer of my hard drive first, the computer can not and will not power on, can anyone here help me out on how to do this on my own so i dont have to pay $250 to have it done! THANK YOU!!!

-Paul

I'm going to assume your HDD's are connected with IDE. Take your old HDD out of the case and put it in your new PC. You will need to set the jumpers accordingly to master/slave. The HDD's should have a label on them that tells you how to do this. Make your new computer's HDD the master and your old one's the slave. Since your old HDD is already formatted and partitioned, boot up the PC and enter the BIOS and make sure the HDD's settings are ok. Then boot XP and it should show up. Then transfer files.

If both are SATA, which I doubt, just plug them in :).

If one is SATA and the other is IDE, set the IDE on master and have the SATA plugged in.

If this doesn't work, let us know.

im sure i sound like a moron, but im not really good with the technical stuff with computers, if i get this product that u sent me the link to, can you tell me how this works...and again i appreciate you help nathan

Well, its main function is to turn a HDD into a portable, external one connectable through USB. So, you place the HDD in this enclosure and then connect to your new laptop through USB.

my old HDD is 20GB and my new one is 60GB do you have any suggestion on which one i need to get?

Need to get? You mean keep? Well, keep the one that came with your new laptop, the 60GB.

no what i was asking was which external enclosure should i get lol... sorry for not being more informative tonight, im a bit tired haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom