data sent within each clock cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
thats all depends on the cpu and other devices speed,
however here is an example:

Megahertz (MHz) is a measure of a CPU's processing speed, or clock cycle, in millions per second. So, a 32-bit 800-MHz Pentium III can potentially process 4 bytes simultaneously, 800 million times per second (possibly more based on pipelining)! The goal of the memory system is to meet those requirements

Cool thanks for the information.

I heard that your processor speed has to be less or the same as your ram speed for example.

2.7Ghz processor with pc3200 ram = ok
3.2Ghz processor with pc3200 ram = ok
3.4Ghz processor with pc3200 ram = NO

The processor speed has to be less than or the same as your ram speed, why is this? If 4 bytes are transfered in each clock cycle with a 32-bit processor and is processing data in 3.2Ghz and pc3200 is roughly 3.2 billion bytes, wouldn't the processor be pumping 12.8 billion bytes a second? how is this right if pc3200 can accept only 3.2 billion bytes a second?

NanoWarrior said:
Cool thanks for the information.

I heard that your processor speed has to be less or the same as your ram speed for example.

The processor speed has to be less than or the same as your ram speed, why is this? If 4 bytes are transfered in each clock cycle with a 32-bit processor and is processing data in 3.2Ghz and pc3200 is roughly 3.2 billion bytes, wouldn't the processor be pumping 12.8 billion bytes a second? how is this right if pc3200 can accept only 3.2 billion bytes a second?

I think when you are selecting RAM, you want to look at the FSB of the CPU rather than the actual clock speed. A 3.4GHz processor would have a FSB of 800 MHz, and the PC3200 would have a frequency of 400 MHz.

The processor speed has to be less than or the same as your ram speed, why is this?

i believe that the answer for that is that the memory has to be able to kee up with the cpu if the cpu is faster than the memory then the memory won't be able to process all the information that is receiving from the cpu and it can make the computer to freeze (or frezze "sorry for the spelling").

about the other question, i honestly don't know too much about that kind of details in hardware components. i just know the basics at this time., but i'm sure some else in the forum be able to answer that question!

thanks for the info,

I don't know what is FSB.... can you explain what it is or give me a link to what it is? I tried looking for a site that explained FSB but couldn't find any whats so ever.

that makes no sense at all. you would have to compare processor FSB versus memory FSB. your chart makes it seem like you misunderstood what people tried to tell you because you are comparing memory FSB versus processor frequency which doesn't compute. thats a apples to oranges comparision.

NanoWarrior said:

ekÆsine said:
that makes no sense at all. you would have to compare processor FSB versus memory FSB. your chart makes it seem like you misunderstood what people tried to tell you because you are comparing memory FSB versus processor frequency which doesn't compute. thats a apples to oranges comparision.

I dont get you but Ill just read the link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom