Data merging question please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

demigod1337

Solid State Member
Hello. First off I'm new to the forum so hello. As for my question its verry simple. I'm building a new computer and want to move all my video, music files to my new hard drive. The question is this, will any remanants of previously deleted files some how attach itself to my existing files and go to my new drive?

I have had files with my Social Security number, addresses, credit card numbers, business accounts but I've deleted them due to security issues. I'm a bit peranoid that keeping my current drive online may lead to someone getting my personial information so I'm getting a new hard drive and moving all my stuff but need to know if there is any chance of my previous data still being recovered from my new drive or being able to be recovered from my current files...??

well what about RAM or other hardware storage. I mean could my RAM still have pieces of it or maybe something on my mother board. If I get a new drive and transfer my files are all the remenants of my previous deleted files gone forever?

Identy theft is a mess and I dont wanna mess with that.

Actually reworded to understand better. If I get a new drive formatt it and have my old drive setup as a slave so I can get my old files off it to my new one will my old file hove some sort of cache, or memory of older deleted files of my old drive. Have small remenants of data merged in to them?

demigod1337 said:
well what about RAM or other hardware storage. I mean could my RAM still have pieces of it or maybe something on my mother board. If I get a new drive and transfer my files are all the remenants of my previous deleted files gone forever?

Identy theft is a mess and I dont wanna mess with that.

Actually reworded to understand better. If I get a new drive formatt it and have my old drive setup as a slave so I can get my old files off it to my new one will my old file hove some sort of cache, or memory of older deleted files of my old drive. Have small remenants of data merged in to them?

As soon as you turn off the power your RAM looses al its content.

If you copy files from your old drive to a new drive any deleted data from your old drive will not be copied since there's no reference to deleted files in the file table. Only sectors with active references will be copied. If those sectors contain old files that would still be readable with recovery programs, they will not be copied. Only the "current" data will be.

Awsome. Thank you for the help man. Do you have the names to any good perge programs that will completely erase your drive so I dont have to smash it I can sell it to a friend.

Preferably a freeware program but I want one that will work flawlessly if you could please.

Hey man just one more question. What about running a magnet ov the drive? Will that completely erase it?

demigod1337 said:
Hey man just one more question. What about running a magnet ov the drive? Will that completely erase it?

I wouldn't trust a regular magnet. I doubt it will work. It may destroy something, but it doesn't mean the data can't be recovered.

I think they have special devices for this, I don't know what they are called.

Also, I don't know if it will cause permanent damage. So if you want to re-use your disk better verify this.

Thats ok. I dont need to reuse the drive. I wanna make sure its dead, gone, no return, no way of useing again or for that getting stuff of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom