Daily Computer Backup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. tech

In Runtime
Hey!

We are needing something that will backup our computer automatically every day... What would you suggest and where can I find more information?

Cheers

Ben

da_foosh_masta said:
you need to backup everything, everyday? or just the stuff that changed since the last backup?

If I can buck up the info changed I suppose that would be better :D

I'm not wanting to spend to much... Any websites on this topic?

gaara said:
If you have absolutely no budget limitations I would suggest a RAID 1

Not that good of a backup because you can loose everything if you have a power surge, power supply die ect

Yup I agree. RAID 1 is less secure for backup purposes than lets say an external backup. PSUs issues/surges can zap both drives. For a home computer, I'd say an external HDD connected via USB is more than enough. Just set your Windows Backup policies, and you'll be done.

I currently have an external hard derive nto connected at all. I then put it into a slot which connects it to the computer... I then run a porgram called ghost to back it up...

Is that a good way to do it?

Mr. tech said:
Hey!

We are needing something that will backup our computer automatically every day... What would you suggest and where can I find more information?

Cheers

Ben
How much money you are looking at spending?
How much data needs to be back up?
How mission critical is this data? Eg. How much down time can you afford while you are restoring your data.

My work as both a RAID and Removable Hard Drive.
RAID is there so we can keep the PC Running if one of the drives dies.
Backing up can start a $100, and go easily go to $10 000 depending on what you want.

Removable Hard Drive is there for Off Sight Back Up just incase some thing server. Eg. Bulding buring down to the group.
We used to have a TAPE Drive, but we retired it when 48Gig was just not enough. And the new version of BackUp Exec allows you to back up onto hard drive.

Server is also protected by a UPS/Surge Protector.

Mr. tech said:
I currently have an external hard derive nto connected at all. I then put it into a slot which connects it to the computer... I then run a porgram called ghost to back it up...

Is that a good way to do it?

Not really sure what u mean by "external hard derive nto connected at all".. But if you mean you have an external HDD connected to the computer and you are running Norton Ghost, you are good to go :)

A tape drive is a very secure way of backup up your data... if you for example run a incremental backup monday,thuesday,wednesday,thursday, and a full backup on friday you will have a good backup solution. The "fault" with harddrives is that they can rund about 100000000 or so rounds before they shut down. a tape will last a lot longer than that, and the data will last longer inn the end. The next soution for backup up your data is to use a dvd-rw, but this is offcourse if you don
't want to back up more than 8,4 gb of data... but it is a cheap solution. All of these metods are complient with the built-in program "NTBACKUP" this program has evenly a schedule feature with it.

Doofy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom