Dail-up Modem questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

AOLRefugee

Beta member
Hello Everyone. I have a dialup connection to AOL. I know, I know. Boo-hiss! Eventually, I'll give up and go broadband. :)

About 3 months ago I began haveing problems dialing into my account. It appears that a connection is made. I get the welcome screen. In the upper right hand corner, is a message stating that AOL detected a problem with the connection, to reboot and log back on. Further, it will allow me to read email but I cannot reply. Icannot access aol's help menu, nor can I get to any url on the web.

I have called AOL's Tech Support, but the techies have such strong accents I cannot understand what they are telling/asking me. Very frustrating. I think it would be easier to have help in writing instead of all the "Huh? please repeat that" from both sides of the conversation. I finally asked my sister-in-law to post something for me on the net.

I suspect my modem is malfunctioning. How can I test my theory? The computer is about 5 years old, so it might even be the pci slot of the motherboard that is failing, true? The other part of my theory is that the phone cord from the jack to the modem is somehow broken. Short of buying a new modem and a new phone cord, can someone please tell me the best way to trouble shoot this?

Additional info: Computer is a Gateway, model "Select 750" with an internal pci modem. I have Norton AntiVirus and have done a complete scan. No virus showed up in the scan.. And yes, the virus signatures are current.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Debbie

Hi. I've tried uninstalling AOL 7.0, then going to AOL 9.0, then back to 7.0. In aol 7, I can at least get online, sort of. But in aol 9.0, it keep dialing, connecting, rejecting the connection, then going back to redial my secondary number. It repeats the cycle 4-5 times before finally stopping with an error. I don't believe the software is the problem because I had been running fine for the past 4 years, with problems starting recently. That is why I think it is hardware-related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom