Cyrix Processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorsoft

Fully Optimized
I got this Intel board from a thrift shop for like $3, and it came with a 120 mhz Cyrix processor. I don't know too much about these processors besides their name and that Via makes them. I have heard that they have a weak floating point, but I am interested to know more about them.

PS-Watch out for a later thread when I finally get fed up trying to find what motherboard this stupid thing is and ask for help :)

That's right, I forgot that they make Cyrix processors, too. I wiped off all the thermal compound to see if there was another company name on it, but all it says is 6x86-p133+GP
110 MHz
3.3V or 3.52V
On the back it just says <c> Cyrix 1995

Anyways, do you know anything about early Cyrix chips, performance wise? I know it's pretty weak but how would it compare to, say, the TheMajor MMX's P200?

I don't know anything about them. My board supports Cyrix, but you have to make sure its set to the correct voltages. I think my CPU beats the Cyrix though. Mine is the best. :D Gonna install XP in a few weeks, need some more RAM, waiting for a PCI wireless LAN-card and use it as backup/server.

If it's like the current VIA CPU's, a 1 ghz VIA C3 will rival a 500mhz p3.
Sorry i dont know much more :)

I found a small rant at some website where this guy was *****ing about how poor his old Cyrix performed when he got it. He also said it sucked for games. He also had a few benchmarks between that PC and a friend's celeron (both at the same speed, I think, 133 mhz), and the celeron soundly defeated it. Shameful.
Since IBM makes it, I sort of think it was best designed for things like data analysis and server tasks. At least I know I can put a celeron in the board now (socket 7). Get ready for some rael power! :)

Thanks for your help too, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom