CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD Sinewave question and efficiency?

Boom123

Baseband Member
Hello,
I am looking into getting a Pure Sine Wave UPS for my gaming rig, and I read some good reviews for the CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD.

Some issues keep bothering me before placing an order though:

1. Is this UPS Pure Sinewave? Looking at this page: https://www.criticalpowersupplies.c...ups/CyberPower-Intelligent-LCD-PFC-1500VA-UPS It says the UPS is Pure Sinewave in the Features and Benefits section, but in the Product Description it says Adaptive Sinewave. Anyone care to shed some light on this? This review: CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD - Enthusiast Power Protection: Four-Way 900 W UPS Roundup states ' the CP1500PFCLCD is also the only unit that has not fully replaced step-wave with pure-sine-wave circuitry, instead opting for a modified triangular wave that CyberPower calls “Adaptive Sinewave”'

2. I read that UPS's lose some wattage due to efficiency. Will this loss from efficiency negatively impact my system? I'm cutting it quite close with a 600W PSU, so I need to be sure that the efficiency loss will still provide enough power for my system. I record while gaming, so my usage is quite high.

My specs are:
i7-4790 Haswell
GTX 980Ti 6GB RAM
32 GB RAM
256 GB SSD (for OS and some games)
4TB 7200 HDD (for storage)
3TB 7200 HDD (for recording onto)
600W PSU 80+
DVD Drive

Using a PSU calculator it says my wattage is 550W, so that's why I said I'm cutting it close with a 600W PSU.

3. About efficiency and Pure Sinewave, do these factors only apply when its on battery power, or also when drawing from AC power?

4. Will this UPS be enough for my needs? I plan to use this for my PC (600W) and a HD TV (290W), just to provide enough time to safely shutdown. Usually I will only have the PC on the UPS, (so I don't stress it with an extra 300W from the TV) but if the power goes out I'll need to connect the TV to it to be able to safely shutdown (and see what I'm doing lol).

Thank you for any help in advance.

1. Sounds like it's close to pure sine wave; the one you don't want is simulated sine wave.

2. PSU calculators should be taken with a grain of rice. I put in my system...and it said 460w max. During games, I've only ever hit ~340w according to my UPS. If you're on a quality PSU, then it won't matter; you can push the full load and it will work fine. If you have a cheapo PSU, then pushing it is dangerous...so what PSU do you have exactly (brand/model)?

3. Not 100% sure on that; assumed it was only on the battery side...but I can't say exactly.

4. Take the rating (1500) and multiply it by 50% or 60% - that's the wattage it can handle.

Wow Carnage, thank you for such a fast reply!! :)

1. So the CyberPower UPS I linked won't damage the components in anyway? Or are there other Pure Sinewave UPS' that I should look into instead?

2. Unfortunately that is what I don't know. I just know it's 600W 85+. This is the listing for the pc I bought (but this is a more recent model that is replacing it on Amazon): https://www.amazon.co.uk/VIBOX-Pega...&qid=1480440244&sr=8-1&keywords=vibox+pegasus and that's all it says in the specs. I guess it's a cheapo, it's just a grey metal box with a fan underneath, no logos or anything visible :/ (I don't know whats stuck underneath near the fan though, I didn't assemble it myself, not too hardware savvy...)

3. Thanks, I'll have to research this a bit more though.

4. If I take it by 60% I hit 900W exactly. 600W from the pc would be if it's running at full load though correct? I highly doubt I'll be hitting full load. I only play and record shmups, so they're not graphically intense games.

Thanks again :)

Wow Carnage, thank you for such a fast reply!! :)

1. So the CyberPower UPS I linked won't damage the components in anyway? Or are there other Pure Sinewave UPS' that I should look into instead?

2. Unfortunately that is what I don't know. I just know it's 600W 85+. This is the listing for the pc I bought (but this is a more recent model that is replacing it on Amazon): https://www.amazon.co.uk/VIBOX-Pega...&qid=1480440244&sr=8-1&keywords=vibox+pegasus and that's all it says in the specs. I guess it's a cheapo, it's just a grey metal box with a fan underneath, no logos or anything visible :/ (I don't know whats stuck underneath near the fan though, I didn't assemble it myself, not too hardware savvy...)

3. Thanks, I'll have to research this a bit more though.

4. If I take it by 60% I hit 900W exactly. 600W from the pc would be if it's running at full load though correct? I highly doubt I'll be hitting full load. I only play and record shmups, so they're not graphically intense games.

Thanks again :)

1. Both APC and CyperPower are good UPS brands. I have 2 CyberPower at home; one of which I've had for about 6 years now and the other I just bought last month.

2. You'll want to find out what brand it is. If it's a cheap brand and you get a really high load...that PSU will pop and RIP computer (meaning it could take out other components, or even explode/start on fire). This is why you want a reputable brand of PSU, as it's arguably one of the most important pieces in a PC.

4. See #2. You'll need to see what PSU you have if you'd even be able to go close to that full 600w load. If you're not playing/recording really intense games, then the system shouldn't stress too much and wouldn't require all that much power.

Like I mentioned, my system (i5 4690k overclocked, GTX 970 OC'd, watercooling, multiple fans, etc.) is running on a 520w PSU that's probably about 8-9 years old now (but it's a high quality unit), and when gaming I've looked at it's Kw consumption, I've seen it peak around 340w.

Hi Carnage,
thank you for your concern about the PSU. I will ask the company and try finding out what brand and model it is.

Last week I ran a stress test with Prime95 on it for an hour, and it passed all tests. (It did 12 tests IIRC). I also ran a FurMark test at 1920x1080 and it stayed at a constant 155 fps windowed, and 101 fps fullscreen. It didnt crash, and a stress test is quite a lot of load on the PC isn't it, so the PSU is good I guess? Please correct me if I'm wrong. As I said I only play shmups (usually their fullscreen resolution is 640x480), and record them at 1920x1080 60fps. So I think FurMark was stressing my pc more than when I'm actually gaming? Sorry to go off topic.

Hi Carnage,
thank you for your concern about the PSU. I will ask the company and try finding out what brand and model it is.

Last week I ran a stress test with Prime95 on it for an hour, and it passed all tests. (It did 12 tests IIRC). I also ran a FurMark test at 1920x1080 and it stayed at a constant 155 fps windowed, and 101 fps fullscreen. It didnt crash, and a stress test is quite a lot of load on the PC isn't it, so the PSU is good I guess? Please correct me if I'm wrong. As I said I only play shmups (usually their fullscreen resolution is 640x480), and record them at 1920x1080 60fps. So I think FurMark was stressing my pc more than when I'm actually gaming? Sorry to go off topic.

Correct - FurMark stresses your system more than most games out there. That's what its designed to do.

As for the PSU question...well, like I said...it depends if it's a quality unit or not. If the system is stressed and the PSU can't handle it...it will either simply fail, or possibly go as far as blowing up (or at least give a big spark show).

Here's a video of several low end units (albeit an older video, but point still stands). Take note of the "Rated" wattage and the actual load wattage applied to the PSU for each one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6snWfd1v7M

Thanks for the info Carnage, I asked the company what make and model it is. Hopefully I'll hear back from them.

Well I guess since it passed Prime95 and FurMark it should handle my games perfectly. (it already is) Shmups are 2D mostly anyway, so it won't be under as much stress as FurMark for sure.

The software that comes with the UPS will automatically safely shut down your pc. I have 2 of these and a APC 900W. You don't need to use it for your tv. Just use it for your PC so it will have time to shut down safely then save up for a secondary one for all your other stuff.

Back
Top Bottom