Cutting Costs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

toogreen

Baseband Member
Hi, im the topic starter from the thread named, "Check Out This Computer Setup!". I have recently had to spend some of the money i was going to spend on a computer, on bills. So unfortunately, I need to cut costs to $1000 or less. That was the original cost I was going to spend, but I went over to around $1150. Therefor, I need to get it back under $1000. Please help me out here. This was the original list, please tell me what you think I would get wit minimal performance loss, with a decent price drop.

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Socket 939 512KB L2 Cache - Retail $273
Asus "A8V Deluxe" - Retail $137
Maxtor 80Gb 7200RPM SATA - Retail $70
Rosewill 16x Double Layer DVD +/- - Retail $56
Raidmax Black Aluminum Game Case w/ 420 Watt PS - Retail $88.88
Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series ( Twin Pack ) 184 Pin 512MB x 2 DDR PC - 3200 - Retail $198
Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce 6600GT, 128MB GDDR3, 128bit AGP 8x - Retail $189
Windows XP Home - $79
Floppy Drive - $7
Keyboard - $10
Used Dell 17' Monitor - $50
Logitech Digital Mouse - Already Have

Total - $1158

As you can see, i am $158 over budget. So please list any things you might see, that would allow minimal performance loss, with a decent price drop.

Maybe only go with one stick of that memory for the time being, and when you have the money, get the other.

I say get a 3000+ or 3200+ they are basically the same same thing but just clocked a bit higher and they also have the same chips. I've read lots of reviews on them and i tell you thereÂ’s not much difference between them at all so rather get one of these and clock it a bit higher to a 3500+. Its easy it should be to hard at all and will save you money.

Steve

If I went to the 3200+ and only 1 512 stick, how much of a difference would be noticable? Because although im trying to cut costs, I do still want a pretty damn good computer. I will occationally be lanning and would like to see some smiles, not just a head nod:D With that said, can I get some feedback.

Your mobo has dual channel memory dont forget. I suggest getting the 3200, with a 1GB memory. I also suggest a combo drive.

Dont forget you dont have to rush and get everything at once. I been builting my computer for 4 months, witch my specs are my sig.

I highly recommend you get Raid Serial SATA Dual 36GB 10000RPM HDD. That would help alot, thats also good with dual channel RAM. Also make sure you get the 3200 Clawhammer core with 1MB cache.

Just get what you can offered now, and then go by paycheck. This takes a little time but you get a better system. If you do what i suggested, its going to make up for leaving the 3500.

You can get a cheaper motherboard than what you have up there which will provide about the same performance. Also, you don't have an OS or keyboard or monitor?

You can also get a cheaper case, it won't affect the performance of your computer other than maybe a temperature difference...

Well, I havn't been able to find any 3200+ 1MB Cache. If someone could provide a link to one, hopefully from newegg.com I would really appreciate it. As far as a differnet HD, whats the big difference bettween the one I choose. Other then the 44 Gb loss in space. I think I will make sure to get 1GB dual channel RAM, but is there a cheaper type I should get without loosing much performance? Thanks for all help so far, but keep it coming :D

PS: Forgot to mention I heard that Windows XP only lets your processor use 256KB of cache by default. Is this true, and if so how can I fix this to allow for maximum use.

Get PC3200, this is the fastest type of RAM your mobo will accept. If your get anything slower effects will be felt. What do you mean the difference between your HD and the Raid Serial SATA Dual 36GB 10000RPM.....? Its a huge difference, dont you know what Raid is? Or SATA? Or 10000RPM?

SATA has more bandwidth, Raid lets you run Dual HD increasing your data transfer, and it works like Hyperthreading. 10000RPM is alot faster then 7200RPM. Thats the speed of your HD, the faster it moves, the faster data can be processed. Its a huge difference, thats basicly the thing to do now.

Here are the HD, you will need Two of them. Nevermind about the clawhammer core 3200, its pretty expensive. Just make sure your 3200 is socket 939.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=101221-316603

Codeine, while I agree with you about the performance boast gained by using two 10,000RPM Raptors in a RAID 0 array, the thread starter is trying to decrease his price tag, and two 36GB Raptors are going to cost a lot more than a single 80GB 7200RPM SATA hard drive, and it's not like any 7200RPM drive is going to bottleneck his system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom