custom building a laptop, need help with cpu
Okay so i am building a laptop for college next year(more like choose parts and this company builds for me). I decided i need a reliable computer that can handle all apps with a good speed (intel based) but i want it to replace my desktop so it would need to be able to handle games with decent graphics settings (amd based). Also i want it to be able to handle for the next 4 or more years, nothing that will go obsolete. All the pc's have similar config and all have mobile radeon 7000
But i need help choosing between:
1) AMD 64 3400+ @ 81.5W (good for gaming, killer on battery, little hotter than P4, prob faster?, whats 81.5w mean?)
2) Intel Centrino 755 Dothan(don't know much about so i might not cosider...little more expensive)
3) Intel P4 3.2ghz prescott ( killer on battery, probably well rounded processor, runs real hot?)
I have done some research and from what i have found amd is for games and intel is more for applications. I have a xp 1700+ that i built and it runs the desktop programs fine.
1) how does the centrino compare to the P4?
2) how do the p4 and athlon 64 compare speed wise
3) if i go with the 64, i have the feeling ill be able to do everything fine, as long as it works 10min of encoding isn't going to make the difference to me...
4)which will give me the best all around performance, reliability, longest life?