CRT vs. LCD - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 12:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Alex81388

Well I was really looking to take advantage of the digital port on the graphics card. Are there any CRT’s less than $450 will good gaming specs and a digital hookup, not just analog? The one I showed originally was perfect with the exception of no Digital.

Any ideas?

Old 09-23-2004, 12:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Location: A system that rotates chaotically while simulations indicate irregular and unconventional behaviour.

Quote:
Originally posted by TheMajor
why did u get a CRT?¿
cause the laptop wasnt mine and i had to give it away
then i bought a crt cause lcds suck! hehe. actually i was on a tight budget and didnt even consider throwing my money towards the lcd.

Old 09-23-2004, 12:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Enterprise SCCM\SCOM

Send a message via ICQ to jseber1982 Send a message via AIM to jseber1982 Send a message via Yahoo to jseber1982

I would say that lcds are good for portability, offices, and moms n pops who just surf the internet. Yah crts are the way to go for gaming even though there big and bulky. I know everyone has already said crts are better,but lol oh well, 1 more persons oppinion doesnt hurt
Old 09-23-2004, 01:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to beedubaya

I had an LCD for a while, and believe me, it sucked in gaming. That thing couldn't get over like 35FPS, and the ghoting was horriffic. If you do get an LCD, it needs to be like 16ms or lower response time.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Ghosting is always a major problem with regular LCD's

The LCD's with response time less than 16ms atleast are pretty good for gaming. Though they turn out to be quite expensive.

N' if your a serious gamer n' would want to stick with an LCD itself ...then consider an LCD with a response time no more than 12ms.

My 2 cents

AMD AthlonXP3000+@ 2.2GHz, Cooler Master Aero 7+, Gigabyte 7NNXP , 1GB Kingston HyperX PC3200 Dual Channel , MSI FX5600 VTDR 256 ,Pinnacle PCTV , 120+120GB Barracuda , Liteon 52x CDRW , Samsung DVDROM , Benq DW1620 16x DVD ReWriter, Phillips 21\" TV,Samsung Syncmaster 763MB,Logitech Cordless MX DUO , Thermaltake Silent PurePower 480W Butterfly Series PSU, Win XP SP2,RH9.
Creative DDTS100 Decoder, Creative Inspire TD7700 7.1 Speakers

Search TF B4 u post { Thanks for this one! Emily :) }
<form action=\"http://www.theriddlehouse.com/random/tfsearch.php\"><input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"><input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search!\"></form>
Old 09-23-2004, 02:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Alex81388 - i dont know why your so conserned about digital input... it only takes a proccess away from the monitor to allow quicker responce or less overhead or something or other.

the cheapest CRT is still as good or better then the most expensive LCD.

like what was mentioned above... if your using this monitor just mainly for gaming, and your not moving it around a lot.. nothing can beat the CRT.

there are other advantages to CRT when it comes to gaming as well... on LCD u have to use it at its native resolution... but on CRT u can run any game at for exampel - 1000x700 and it will look the same as 1600x1200 on a LCD. so u can save processing power by lowering resolution, and using it more for textures/rendering.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Well if you say so - then I guess I'll go with that 900B.

I figured they were better but I guess im overhyping the digital input :/ .

Thanks for everyone's help!

Always appreciated.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

agree with the rest, CRT is the way to go. There are gaming LCD's that look incredible, but they are so incredibly expensive that it's not feasible for the normal person.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Old 09-23-2004, 07:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
True Techie

Yep CRT is the way of the gamer, even moreso if, like me, ur into ur FPS'ers!

My last 3 purchases of Doom3, Painkiller and FarCry confirm this

If u move ur pc around alot, have limited space, don't care much for gaming and have loadsa cash then go for a LCD.

Anyway Cathrode Ray Tube Monitors are coming back!
CRT's will never be totally replaced by LCD screens for 3 big reasons.
Brightness, Cheap to build, and a huge amout of manufacturing experience.
Matsu****a(spelling?) have got around the bulkiness by doing away with one big tube and having thousands of small ones to make up the image, this means that CRT's can be produced in the future that are no more than 100mm deep!!

Now Panasonic among others are reportedly investing.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Definatly First-Person-Shooters. Thats mostly what I'll use it for.

Figure ill go with this for price reasons:
http://www.pcconnection.com/web/shop...k15507&afsrc=1

The only thing is...
I have another site that does it cheaper, but is it the same monitor? I can't find a color ratio anywhere, and I'm worried if this one if tampered with...:
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.proc...afeed.LGE+900B

-Alex

Closed Thread