CPU wont boot without cd

Status
Not open for further replies.

beefy696969

Baseband Member
Hey whats up, im new here, what a way to start off with a first post, hopefully I can help a few of you later on down the road..... well if anyone could help me with this, it would be appreciated.....

ok, this is wierd, I have just installed win2k on a pc, the pc is a p4 1.7 , 512mb RD ram, and its on a 15gig maxtor.

well the install went fine, everything was good, but after the install was finished, I did a few things to the PC, installed Nav and a few other apps that dont require a reboot, well I went to restart the pc and it would no longer boot, telling me to insert a system or boot disk WTF... so I press enter , still nothing.

checked the bios, it is set to boot from the HD first. so that was not an issue. The only way the pc will boot is if their is a cd in the drive, it asks you "press any button to boot from cd" I just hit nothing, then the pc will boot fine.... anyone have any ideas on this one???

thanks in advace.....

IMHO sounds like a messed up boot.ini or something with the mbr but your most likely problem is in the boot.ini. Just my 2 cents worth

U know what I never thought about the .ini, jsut figured that it was not even at that point of looking for the boot.ini file....

will check it out though...

well im @ work right now, as soon as I get home I will have to check that out....

so you think its pulling the boot.ini from cd???? kinda odd, but I have seen more strange things.....

thanks for the advice.

well I was also haveing another issue with this pc at the same time, it would say "cpu is unusable or has been changed"
I reset the BIOS and that took care of that problem, and also made that error message go away for a while, but that same error comes back, the computer will just shut off without warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom