CPU Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wil Garrett

Solid State Member
CPU Upgrade

I recently won a computer in a raffle at my work...it's a HP Pavilion a302x...2.5 Ghz celeron.....40 gig HD...48x cdrw. Does anyone know what is the fastest processor this system will take...and would upgrading the processor make that much of a difference!
Thanks in Advance! :)

probably a pentium 4 of about 2.5 or 2.8ghz. since most mobos even brand name comps like hp, have celeron/pentium 4 works in the same cpu slot.

call them and they should tell u. most likely a pentium 4, i think it would only make a difference in boot up time, games, and other graphically intenese, and cpu intense programs.

the pentium 4 would be better for those reasons, mainly games tho, but celeron can be good enough too,

if your doing other things besides video editting/games that celeron will be pretty good for u how it is.

i know most ppl will tell u that a pentium 4 would be way better, it would be quite faster.

Thanks for the info Turbo...i'm giving the PC to my son who likes to play online games (counterstrike) so i think i might go to the P4 2.8...but would'nt i have to increase the cooling also for the P4...and what would you reccomend.
Thanks!

agreed , you do not need to upgrad the CPU, you may want to check and see what video card is in it. A video card may be a better upgrade for counterstrike than a CPU upgrade.

There is not alot i can do about the Video.....it's integrated(intel extreme graphics)....i bought him a Digital Camera for X-mas...so he likes to manipulate his Photos...so for now i guess the 64 mb(shared) video will have to do... no AGP slot...i have 768 mb's of ram installed...so thats not too bad...but i realize i'm limited on what i can upgrade.
Thanks!

Even though it has integrated video it probably still has an AGP slot and the integrated video can be disabled.

No AGP slot tech.....just 3 pci slots...which i have 1 open since i installed a SB sound card for him last week....i'm not really sure how good this "Intel Extreme Graphics" is...but for now it will have to do...it says 64 mb.

Intel Extreme graphics are very very very poor performers, a real videocard will greatly increase the speed of games. that videocard is going to struggle with games that came out last year. probably.

You get a heatsink and fan when u buy a pentium 4, its an easy install lots of info on the web too.

if i was in your position, i would buy a decent motherboard for about 120CDN from ASUS or a cheap one for like 90CDN. and get a radeon 9200, or 9600 video card. id leave the celeron, because its probably strong enough anyway, but if your son is playing counter strike - that doesnt need much video power

i had an old Compaq - 466mhz celeron,192mb ram, an 8mb onboard i810 video, and i was playing counter strike smoothly with that.

so the computer you have there is overkill for that game

congrats on winning it,

upgrades needed probably :
videocard

upgrades needed in the future:
pentium 4.

oh ya the only reason id upgrade the motherboard is to get agp slot, and youd get other great features in a new mobo, as well as overclocking. you can overclock marginally with stock cooling, but thats not an option with that mobo, its HP.

anyway u can do it for reletively cheap, an asus mobo for about 100cdn and a radeon 9200 for 100cdn(i got one, i like it, it overclocks too).

total approx 200cdn which is about 150american.

or u can always buy a special PCI version of the videocard, which would cost more and be slower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom