CPU Temp and Fan Speed??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sayaprayer

In Runtime
My CPU fan recently started sounding alot louder then normal. I run motherboard monitor 5 and temp is usually around 40c at idle, and 50-55c while under stress. MBM 5 is usually off a few degrees from what my bios usually say. I have a fan controller I've been using on some case fans. My case never really gets above 45C even with the controller.

Is it ok to use a fan controller on a CPU fan? I was thinking about trying to control it myself to minimize some of the noise. I'm just worried about overheating my CPU. Is there a prefered RPM that I should try to keep it at? Or just monitor my CPU temp? What would be a bad CPU temp? 70C? 80C+?

Just monitor your temp. When you have a fan like the vantec tornado you have to put that thing to a fan controller unless you just really don't care about noise.

60C+ is a bad temp IMO

Yeah I ran Prime95 for about a half hour and the highest my temp got was 56C. The RPM's on the fan peaked at about 4800. Its just the stock fan that came with the CPU.
Is there any way to control the fan with a program rather then with a manual controller? Only reason I asked is just incase the switch gets bumped. I'd like as little risk as possible. :p

I know some programs can. Perhaps Speed fan or motherboard monitor 5.

But if your fan is connected to a controller...then a program won't do anything. The controller isn't hooked to the mobo in any way so why would it?

The programs can only control the power that goes to the 3pin fan connectors on the motherboard, same way a fan controller simply controls the voltage going to the fan to slow it.

It's controller or the program, not both

Yeah I wanted to use just a program prefered. I tried Speedfan without the controller but it wasn't changing anything. I'm probably not doing something right, Ill try to figure something out. Even when I used the controller the noise didn't cut down. Maybe I just need a new fan or something else to control the sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom