CPU temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matth

Solid State Member
CPU problems

I have a pentium 4 3.2ghz 640 in an asus P5AD2-E mobo with an Arctic cooling freezer 7 fan, and arctic silver thermal compound. I have 4 intake fans and 2 exhaust fans. My ambient motherboard temp stays at a constant 30-34 degrees Celsius, but my CPU jumps from 50 to a high of 77degrees celsius. It isn't overclocked at all.

I checked my cpu fan to make sure it was seated properly, made sure there wasn't anything blocking airflow around that area, but my CPU still stays around 75c under load. Any ideas? Also, how much thermal compound should I use? I put about a pea sized amount on the top of the processor. I don't see why it should be running so hot. Even my graphics card runs a lot cooler.

Uhh...followed suggestions, check below for brand new problems.

Thanks a lot....my mistake for following magazine instructions >< I'll see if taking some off and applying a smaller amount helps.

Wow a pea size? A BB size should be plenty, make sure to spread it around a little so that when you put the heatsink on it, the heatsink should push it that extra little bit.

-Ryan

you should always have more exhaust fans than intake fans. also, try removijng your case door and running without it, my load temps went down 7-8c just from doing that.

I removed the thermal grease, put a bb sized amount on, spread it around, restarted my comp...now it boots up, and turns off. Checked all my connections, turned on comp, same thing. Reseated the CPU fan, checked my connections again, same thing.

You might just have to play around with it to find the right amount that work's for you,I know applying then taking it off can be a pain but you might have to do it a couple time's to get it right,I know i had to do it 4 time's :(

3.2ghz p4 640
Arctic freezer7 cpu fan
5x 80mm case fans
Asus p5ad2e premium mobo
Radeon x700 vid card
1gb GEIL ddr2 ram
Raidmax Mustang case
Raidmax 420w PSU
WD 72gb 10,000rpm Raptor HD
NEC DVDRW+CDRW
Rosewill 901j 19" LCD
Audigy 2 value soundcard

Anyways, I just built this system and haven't had any problems except for the CPU overheating, mentioned above. I powered down, took out my fan, took off all the thermal grease, applied a BB sized amount like suggested, put the fan back on, turned my system on, and it all turned off about 5 seconds after powering up. Rechecked all my connections, retried, same thing. Double, triple, and quadruple checked all my connections, same thing. Unhooked all unnessary system components, tried again, same thing. Now I'm starting to get really angry. Mobo LED light is still on after the system shuts down. I'm not sure if it is the PSU or not...any way to tell for sure? Any ideas?

I can see the first boot up screen...the Asus BIOS screen. It always shuts down right after that, not allowing me any time to check BIOS settings, which should be fine. I don't know what to do, this is the first system I've ever built, and don't know why it is acting this way. If you need anymore info, please ask. I have upgraded and messed with the hardware on all my previous systems, so I know what I'm doing, and am comfortable messing around. I've just hit a brick wall, and I hope someone here can help. Sorry for bothering you all.

if the psu is the only thing you cant swap to test... if you have an old pc laying around witch you might not beable to use the psu out of to test... you could use the new psu to test on the old computer though, if the old pc boots with the new psu, the psu's prolly fine.

the AS5 website says to place a BB sized amount on the center of the heatspreader. and dont toucht it, just let the pressure of the hsf spead it out when its evenly pressed ontop. dont sinstall the hsf at an angle or anything. prolly easyest done with the motherboud on the bench and not inthe case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom