CPU running hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

legalize

Beta member
About a month or two ago I purchased a 3.2GHz p4 w/HT and 1,b cache. I also have 1GB Corsair DDR400 ram and a 120gb hdd. My CPU has been idling at about 57C/136F and under load goes to about 70C/158F. I thought the readings were off (someone suggested so) and yesterday took out the heatsink to see if it was hot... Well it was VERY hot :) The readings must be right and now I have a problem. There was barely any of that goo substance so I thought maybe I should buy some thermal gel or a new heatsink. If you guys could recommend anything other than liquid cooling I'd really appreciate it. Also someone recommended undeclocking but I don't know how to do that. :confused:

Firstly, don't underclock. That means you are not getting all the performance you paid for.

You should get some Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound, and maybe a better heatsink. The Thermalright XP-90 is a good one to go for, as an example.

it scares me to hear u testing how hot your CPU is when you took out the heatsink.... I hope u think it twice next time if u try to do that again.... I wouldn't dare to power on a CPU without heatsink+fan anytime, not only it might damage your expensive CPU but might even burn your skin...

other than applying some compound, there are few ways to lower your CPU temperature, for example

1) bigger or better CPU fan
2) more fan on the case to suck out hotair
3) try to make more empty space in the case by taking care of those cables and devices as much as you can
4) DON'T overclock (I don't think you are though)
5) leave some space behind your PC so it can have better ventilation
6) clean your case and fans with compress air or vaccum

you probably know all this, but just my 2c :)

I know all of that :) And the computer was off ofcourse when I took out the heatsink. I was dusting it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom