Not open for further replies.

Dman2

Beta member
About a year ago I put together the following PC:
ASUS A7A266 motherboard
AMD Athlon 1.2Ghz FSB200
512MB DDR RAM (PC2100)
etc.

The computer worked fine for several months... over time I started having trouble with the computer randomly shutting off (no power down--just off) and then restarting.

I have just now learned why this has been occuring...

The CPU and the RAM are not compatable. The CPU has front side bus speed of 200 and the RAM is PC2100 or 266. Apparently, I need to have DDR RAM that is PC1600 or 200.

Anyway, the simple solution was to purchase the correct DDR RAM. However, PC1600 RAM is very hard to find or rather expensive. Another solution was to purchase a new CPU with 266 FSB. The problem there is that my mother board says it supports CPUs at 1.2Ghz--can't find a AMD CPU that is under 1.6Ghz.

Ultimately, I will purchase the PC1600 DDR RAM, but I thought I would consult with experts before doing so...

Is there a way that I can limit my FSB to 200 on the CPU I am currently using? Through BIOS? I'm not at all familiar with changing BIOS settings or jumpers... so I don't want to "experiment" with the settings to see if I can get my CPU and RAM to work together.

Can someone tell me if it is possible to get my RAM and CPU to work nicely together and if so, how do I do that.

If not possible, I will just buy a new CPU or RAM.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Umm, the PC2100 RAM in your computer is downclocked to PC1600 automatically since your processor isn't compatible with your RAM. What is your motherboard? You might need a BIOS update to have it run with processors with 266 FSB.

God, i would of never even wasted my money on a 1.2ghz 200fsb computer in the first place.

I have an ASUS A7A266 Socket A mother board, 266MHz FSB, ALiMAGiK 1 Chipset.

I think I've tried the BIOS update previously, but that was several months ago.

Anyone know if an update would help?

Thanks.

your best bet would to buy a cpu mobo combo that supports your 512. its best to do that than searching a long time and then just ditching your 512. thast of course if another update dosent work.

I don't think the update is going to help. I went ahead and updated the BIOS and the current BIOS on the machine was the same as the "update."

The BIOS update I did several months ago is the latest.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Another option I thought of is to just purchase a new CPU. I can get a compatible CPU for about half the price of replacing the RAM. However, my mobo specifies that it can handle Athlon CPUs up to 1.2+GHz.

Does anyone know if I can put a faster CPU on that board without damaging it? In other words, if I put a 1.6GHz Athlon on the board will it just run at 1.2GHz or will it actually run at 1.6GHz and start burning out the mobo?

Thanks again for any information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom