CPU/RAM Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro2a

In Runtime
Is there a way to tell how much RAM a CPU can handle? I read in another thread that the ratios don't really matter with modern PC's...

Lets say hypothetically my XYZ MoBo can support up to 16GB of DDR2 or DDR3 RAM and I max it out to that 16GB... how do I know how much my CPU can handle/process? Or is it basically infinite?

Don't think the ratio matters, at least in these modern times. If you maxed it out, don't think it would have an effect on the CPU. That's my views though, wait for more responses lol.

Edit: You could also read up here or here to see if it helps.

Yea I'm pretty sure the ratios dont matter now. But if you had 32GB or RAM and a dual core of some sort... I'm sure something has to bottleneck somewhere.

It isnt the CPU that matters. At all. It is the mother board. The mother board is the factor is this. The mother board will determine how much RAM can be supported. After the mother board it is the Operating System. The CPU will handle and use what ever amount you have installed as long as the mobo and OS can handle it.

But like i said it all comes down to the mobo. As it is the mobo that places these RAM limits on the person, not the CPU chip itself. Just like in the example. He states the mobo can handle 16GB. Well that is exactly what the CPU will be able to handle. If the CPU cant handle it, then it isnt compatible with that mobo and the question is null cause it doesnt apply.

See ho quickly this turns into a catch 22 situation. So your fitting the CPU to the mobo and since the mobo has the RAM restriction on it, that will be what that CPU can handle. I know for a fact that people use my CPU on mobo setups that can handle more than 8GB. But that is all my mobo can. So it isnt the CPU at all, it is the mobo. Everything revolves around that. It is the circulatory system to the CPU and RAM.

I may be wrong but if it's a 64bits processor then it's registers to map the memory are of 64bits, so the cpu can handle 2^64 bits of memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom