Cpu & Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubius

Golden Master
I've got an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ CPU and it has a 266FSB. Does this mean that the pc2700 ram I have isn't running at its full 333MHz. I know somewhat about computers but I've noticed I got somewhat out of the loop. My motherboard supports up to 400FSB. I have the MSI KT6V series motherboard.

If I have an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ chip
is it pointless to go any higher than pc2700 ram?
Is the pc2700 ram even performing at its full potential as of now?

I'm sorry for my lack of knowledge in this area, I know theres some relationship between CPU and RAM just not sure what you need to look for. I don't want to order PC3200 RAM if my CPU can't communicate with it at the speed advertised. Can someone please shed some light on this for me it would be greatly appreciated =)

The way I see it, is that you might as well buy the PC3200 RAM. No, it won't do you any good at this point seeing as that the RAM only runs as fast as your processor's FSB. However, when you upgrade to a newer processor, you won't have to buy new RAM to take advantage of it faster FSB.

it's funny cause I came to that exact conclusion about an hour ago =) God knows when I'll ever upgrade my processor =/ but I had planned on buying another 2400+ to put in this other machine I'm building with the left over 2700 ram and I guess instead I could buy a better processor then put this 2400+ in there. Thanks for the suggestion, I think it'll probably be my best bet =)

If you have a good enough brand of ram and and providing you have good mainboard, cooling system and p.s you could probably get a bit more juice out of your cpu and ram. Most cpu and ram when it comes off the shelf and onto your computer never is running at it's fullest until you do some tweaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom