CPU Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicktaylor12

Solid State Member
CPU Problems

I have just put together my first amd system, with the help of a couple of friends , this is a budget system.

AMD Athlon xp 2400+ (266fsb)
ABIT kt7A Raid Motherboard
256 MB SD RAM ( PC133)

My pc is all up and running with windows xp home installed, upgradin 2 xp pro sp2 soon , but my cpu is only registering at 1500mhz, (instead of 2000mhz which this chip shud be at). The fsb of the cpu is set 2 100mhz with a multipyer of 15x, = 1500mhz. When I Change the fsb in the bios to 133mhz which the cpu shud b runnin at ( to give me 2000mhz) the pc doesnt boot . Could this be sumthing 2 do with my ram?? which is pc 133, any comments or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

u know that motherbourd doesnt use DDR, so u will be running significantly slower.

u must be only running pc100 ram. otherwise i imajine it would default to 133.

how much did u pay for that motherbourd? u can prolly get a lot better bourd for cheap, that supporst DDR ram.

with that bourd and that ram, instead of the XP running at 266fsb its running at 100fsb.

The latest bios update should be able to increase the mulitpler to 14.5, i think thats the link

he already said his multi is 15 .....which is default for the 2400+ XP and you won't be able to change that because it's locked. You should be able to change it up to 133MHz without any problem. It is more than likely that RAM. the 2400+ isn't supposed to go into any board that old.....you need to have a board that supports 266/333/400 RAM meaning PC2100, PC2700, and PC3200, you're WAY off from those my friend.

This other guy obviously doesn't have a clue as to what he's talking about...cause for one your XP chip shouldn't even be able to work in that thing...read the specs of your motherboard..

Supports AMD Athlon/Duron 600MHZ-1.2GHZ

You have an AMD Athlon XP not an Athlon.....thats an old style motherboard...yeah the CPU FITS into the socket...doesn't mean your mobo supports it....get new motherboard and ram if you want that 2400+ XP to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom