Mushkin PC 2700 1 Gig Memory
Aspire X Dreamer II Case w/ 350 W PSU
Western Digital 80 GB HD
Maxtor 200 GB HD
ARTEC CDRW/DVD Drive
SONY DVD-RW Drive
PNY Verto GeForce MX 400
Creative SB Live 5.1

So for the last couple months I've been having issues with the computer just randomly shutting off. Lately it's been happening when I try to burn DVDs, run VirusScan, and playin any game for a extended period of time. It's been getting progressively worse and I have no idea what's causing it.

Many people suggested that the PSU was to blame, being a it was a generic 350W Aspire, and apparantly those aren't that great. So today I recieved a new Thermaltake silent purepower 480W PSU, installed it, and for awhile I thought the problem was fixed. I could burn DVDs okay, but when I went to run Virus Scan it shut off randomly during the scan, it did the same thing when I was playing a game earlier.

So after installing the new PSU, someone said to check the memory, so i ran Memtest86 and I got about 76% through the test before it shut off again, which at that point there were no errors and no passes.

So does anyone know what is causing these random shutoffs? You can leave me a post here or IM me on AIM, my sn is spdj20. Thanks for your help

Does it restart when it shuts off while your in windows? And try running memtest again and see if it shuts off at the same spot.....

Check your CPU temps, sometimes a CPU overheating can cause random restarts and since it only crashes when the CPU is under some kind of stress it might be the heat.

Download a program called SpeedFan open it and Temp3 should be the CPU temp. Then download this little program http://www.savefile.com/files/9007105 open it and set it to high and just watch what your CPU temp goes up to and post back to us what it got to.

it's not the temps, my case has a built in temp display. With the new PSU my temps stay under 100 F nowhere near the overheating point of my processor

So i downloaded SpeedFan all 4 of my speeds were fine Temp 3 is 15 C Now when I ran the toast program my Temp 2 jumped to 52 C

After I stopped Toast my SpeedFan readouts are the following

Temp 1 - 25C
Temp 2 - 47C
Temp 3 - 12C
Temp - 1C
HD0 - 47C

Does that say anything, any other specs you guys need

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom