cpu installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyshep

Solid State Member
hi all.

i am going to put a second cpu in my dual board :)

i have the cpu and fan ready to go but the cooling thingy the fan sits on has not got a pad stuck on it that sits on the cpu chip.

is there anything special about this pad?

can i use a sticky pad or double sided tape? :eek:

thx in advance

andy

The "cooling thingy" is the heat sink and you should use thermal paste. You can get the paste at almost any electronics store.

TA GUYS

got some thermal grease :D

but couldnt do it cos me heat sink didnt have clamp
:mad:

mobo

its an ABIT VP6 kind of old now but its good enuff for me.

im fitting 2x P3 1GHZ chips in . cos i got another off ebay for 20 quid..

gotta get a cooler unit cos i aint got a clamp for the spare unit i had :(

The Board intrigued me too,,,

here is a bit of background,,,

The Abit VP6 is a dual CPU ATX board that uses VIA's Apollo Pro 133A chipset with dual processor support. The VP6 features two FC-PGA sockets that support 66/100/133Mhz system bus speeds. It also supports Ultra DMA 100 and RAID 0, 1, and 0+1 with a High Point HTP370 IDE Controller. It offers 5 PCI, 4 DIMM, and a 4x AGP slot.

The Abit VP6 is Abit's long-awaited follow-up to the old BP6 board, which pretty much brought low-cost SMP to gamers. While the BP6 was based on Intel's all-mighty 440BX chipset, Abit decided to go another way and use the VIA Apollo Pro 133A chipset for the follow-up. A wise choice it was too. The VP6 not only has all the features one can ask for in a high performance motherboard, it also has the features we don't want. You will not find a modem riser slot of any ISA slots on this board. No sir! What you will find is nothing but the good stuff. Five PCI slots, support for ATA100, built in RAID support and four DIMM slots so you can pack over two gigs of RAM if your heart desires.

Among the unique features found in the VP6 is the RAID controller which allows you to hook up to four drives in striped, mirrored, or a combination of both. For maximum hard drive performance you would stripe your drives in a RAID 0 setup. The performance gain is really amazing. Striping two IBM 7200 RPM ATA100 drives gives higher performance than a 15,000 RPM SCSI drive.

Overclocking has always been Abit's number one selling features and the VP6 doesn't disappoint. You have options for the normal 66, 100 and 133MHz processors. However, Abit's Softmenu III allows you to adjust the front side bus from 66Mhz all the way to 178Mhz in 1Mhz steps! This is not as great as the 66Mhz to 200Mhz in 1Mhz steps as the old BX133-RAID but, unlike the BX133, you can make use of the higher bus speeds because of the 1/2 AGP divider used by the VIA chipset.

The following speeds are available from the BIOS: 66, 68, 75, 80, 83, 100, 103, 105, 110, 112, 115, 120, 124, 133, 140, and 150MHz. Now you may be wondering how does this work out to 1Mhz steps? Well Abit let us tweak things a little more and gave us the CPU FSB Plus (MHz) setting that ranges from 0 to 28MHz. So what does that mean? It means you can choose any of the stock bus speeds and then add anywhere from 0 to 28MHz giving you a FSB from 66MHz to 178MHz in 1MHz increments. In a way this is a bit better than the old set up of 1Mhz increase at a time. I remember it took awhile to go from 100 to 150Mhz in my BX133-RAID.

THink I might look to find one,, dual processor boards are great!!

cheers,

overclocking

i have never really looked into over clocking.. been to busy with web design....

maybee its something to try later on before i think to upgrading my pc..

so the VP6 is a good board for over clocking?

i am intrigued.....:)
andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom