CPU Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayniac

Daemon Poster
I have a Rocket Cooler Pro by Gigabyte for my processor (AMD Athlon 64 3000+ socket 939) and it isn't the greatest cooling device. My question is why. When I looked at some sites, there was one place that achieved an overclock up to 2.6 GHz with a Silent Boost K8. I figured since the rocket cooler is bigger and runs faster, it would cool it better, but in all actuality, if I tried to achieve that overclock with it on there, I can't barely touch 2.2 GHz without it overheating. I ordered the Silent Boost and plan on using that instead to see, but does anybody have any ideas why the Rocket Cooler isn't working good? Is it just because it isn't necessarily made for 64 bit processors or socket 939s or something?

It all depends on your case cooling. Along with the processor. OC does not only depend on your cooling either. Its going to be pretty hard to touch 2.6ghz on a 3000 if you have commercial RAM. When you OC your computer, your RAM will OC also. In order to reach high speeds, you must have good RAM. Thats because your RAM works with your processor. If the cpu is working to fast, your RAM cannot process at the same rate. Resulting in an unstable OC.

That doesn't really explain why my processor gets so darn hot though either. I mean, even when it is not overclocked, once in a blue moon it will be too hot and I have to restart.

Also, what is some good RAM that'll OC with my processor well?

i have a thermaltake venus 12 combined with some arctic silver 5 and i run at about 30 idle with the fan on at lowest speeds.(although putting it on at higher speeds doesnt really do anything lol)

im not overclocking right now though.

Yeah, maybe my problem is the thermal gel perhaps? When I try to connect the Silent Boost K8 I'll use arctic silver 5 and see what happens. I won't have a fan control, but if it keeps it cool, what will I need the fan controller for anyway? Seems like the problem is either the gel or the CPU fan... either way, I'm going to put the new fan on with new gel and see if that takes care of things...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom