CPU Chip Dieing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares

In Runtime
If you recall my current computer (see "My PC SPECS" post a few weeks ago) you know it's not the greatest. Guess what i found out today?

I noticed the cpu heatsink on my 400mhz AMD was feeling a little hot over the last few weeks. Every week or so it would seem to feel even hotter than before. Amazingly it keeps on trucking, although it locks up a heck of a lot (up to 15+ times a day). Well, the last few days the temp on the cpu heatsink was very extremely hot... so hot that if you put your finger to it... it'd almost burn you! I noticed the pc acting a little different... not staying active more than a few hours at a time. I checked the temp on the cpu today. This thing is cooking!

It's operating at 72 C/161 F!!! The cpu is overheating. It's been in use for about 6 years now so it's time has come to be put to pasture. I'm amazed the thing even works at that temp. It'll only stay workable for maybe an hour or two before it locks up and i have to let it cool down.

I'm thinking about reviving the system, for use with linux. Anyone know where i can get any amd k6-2 400mhz chips? In good shape?

Poor chip. I could prob fry an egg on it if i wanted!

I think if you got some Artic Silver with a decent Heatsink/Fan that you could get another 2-4 years out of the processor easy.

Well i have arctic silver but i'm not about to use it for a 400mhz amd. It's for the new pc's i'm building. An amd 400mhz shouldn't even need it (new). The chip's seen its better days and it's not really worth buying a better fan for a chip that should only cost me 20 bucks at most. I think it's newegg that's selling a 500mhz for 20 bucks.

I could always upgrade the bios and throw in the 500 mhz, but for what i'm gonna do with it, id rather just find another 400 mhz chip and be done with it. We'll see i guess. ;)

dont dispose it, whether or not the CPU runs slow, its still a good CPU. if you dont want it, then send it to me - i have a collection of old cpu's that ive had over the past and i admire them, because at some point, they were thought to be the fastest on the market :)

I found a couple for sale online. I'm gonna get a few replacements for this one and hopefully that'll help this pc out a bit.

I really don't think the amd 400mhz runs slow at all. Not like other 400mhz cpus. I have a friend who has a 1.5 gig intel chip (i think it's a celeron) and this computer can compete with him anyday. I've never thought of the 400mhz as slow. I think it's quite fast... for 400mhz! It definitely appears to run much faster than it's rated to be, atleast to me it does.

If you want it, talk to me after i get the replacements in. :)

alright.. because i'm a collector of old parts :) i just like to have them around my room to remind me of how far we've progressed in technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom