Couple of questions about how people handle Hardware questions - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2004, 05:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Couple of questions about how people handle Hardware questions

Post a huge error log file on how your video card crashed. Whats the most common answer?

"Update your drivers"

I seriously doubt ANYONE can actually read those longass logs and be able to comprehend and troubleshoot off them...just my thought (I know I cant and I've been working on computers since I was little)

But this is the real problem I have, and I swear if anyone asks for the log, you're not getting it

There isnt really a consistency with this problem but I will, at times, randomly get the Blue Screen Of Death and then it says the driver Nv4_display.dll is the source of the problem. Well after search after search on google to see if any forums had talked about this issue, all I found was

"Gimme your log"
"Update your drivers"

and then the person who was asking for help would do so, and then say that it didnt work and now more errors were coming up. I am currently running a

Gigabyte Motherboard consisting of:
GeForce 4 TI4800
AMD 2.1GhZ Processor 2800+
768 MB of DDR3200 RAM

Now does has anyone had similar problems or knows what the cause of this may be?

Old 08-02-2004, 07:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

well i think its obvious. update your

so you get the 'blue screen'. sounds like a windows problem? reinstall maybe...
how old is your vid card? perhaps its faulty...
Does it happen most often during boot-up, idle, gaming???

Old 08-02-2004, 07:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

and just a note:
Log files DO contain a lot of useful information about a device failure. Quite often there can be a specific part of the log that points someone in the right direction as in "Oh, ive seen that before, i know how to fix that." or it can help to rule out a lot of probs.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to chog

What Operating System are you using?
Old 08-02-2004, 03:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Sometimes updating your system BIOS helps iron out any vid card issues. Regardless of up-to-date drivers, if your mother board can't communicate with the device properly, you will get BSD's...
Old 08-02-2004, 06:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yeah I'm going to update my BIOS in a bit here, and as to the log files I dont really know that much about them YET (Working on getting A+/MCSE/CNSE certs at the moment) but I actually had a faulty 40mm fan in the back of my tower, so I replaced it with a 90mm fan that actually worked and so far no more blue screens

Closed Thread