A couple of questions about building a computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackecho

Baseband Member
I am interested in building a new computer. I've already put a 120 gig hard drive, about 736mb or so of ram and a 52x cd burner in my older computer. So of course I am looking for a good motherboard/cpu combo to hook them up too. But this leaves with me quite a few questions.

What does bus speed of the mother board mean?

What is a bus?

Is IDE still used in newer computers and is IDE just a name for the cables or does it have more of a meaning?

Can the motherboard or cpu limit how much ram you can have? For instance if some company creates a new ram card with 1,500mb or ram and I use three of them, will the motherboard allow it?

Can you have more than three hard drives on one system? For instance, lets say that I have the master and slave drive on one IDE cable. Can I put another on an IDE cable with my internal cd-rw? What do I need to configure it as? Can I have more than one master hard drive or do they all need to be slaves?

What is a decent bares bones system gonna cost me? I am looking for really good and fast preformance so I can run Photoshop and Illustarator with out hardly any wait, what should I look for?

Also, what is the cache? Is it of the motherboard or CPU?

Ok thats all at the moment. Thanks for any help that you can contribute. I hope to share this info with others.

AHHHH so many questions! Heres my 2 cents:
1. bus speed - how fast info travels from chip to chip etc on the motherboard.
2. bus - a path the data is transmitted across
3. IDE is here to stay! Integrated Drive Electronics aka Advanced Technology Attachment (ATA) or Enhanced Integrated Drive Electronics Started as a 16bit bus standard made by IBM i believe.
4. There are RAM limitations on Mobos.
5. Yes you can have more than 3 hard drives just not IDE, RAID is a good way to utilize alot of harddrives. 3 harddrives and a cd writer is all 4 of your IDE slots and i think you can only have one master harddrive and the other 2 would be slaves, but each chain has to have a master. Someone will correct me on that im sure, sorry :(.
6. I got a really nice Barebones system that runs AutoCad flawlessly from www.econopc.com for a really low price and i havent had a single problem. www.tigerdirect.com is good too. You'll need a good video card and alot of Ram with a decent system backing it should be good enough for most programs.
7. Cache is a "little library" that holds information you access frequently so it takes less time to load. Cache comes in many levels and variations.

Hope this helped!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom