A couple of ideas...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus

Daemon Poster
Ok, I posted a thread about me building my parents a new comp, and I'll be giving them some of my parts (CPU, mobo, and possibly RAM and vid card)....ok that's about my whole system, but I had a couple of questions about performance and what they'll be doing:

1. I have a 9800Pro that cost me $171 about. I see here that the 6600 is cheaper and is better, correct? This new comp for my parents will be used for office work and some online video watching. Would it be beneficial to give them my 9800Pro and them buy me one of those 6600s in place for some other vid card?

2. I will be giving them my cpu (P4 2.8ghz) and my mobo (p4p800 se). They will, in return, be getting me an AMD, seeing that P4s are more app cpus and I do more gaming. I will hope to get a 64 3200. I believe the core I want is Winchester, correct? I want the cooler core and a socket 939, which is, if ram serves me right, is the better socket? And I also need a good mobo under $100.

3. I may as well let them have my 512 RAM. I check the ram usage meter and it is almost always a 80+% cause of the stuff I'm running. I found this . I want to conserve money as much as possible, and my previous ValueRam gave me no problems and it was cheap so I'm gonna get it again. Any suggestions? I really wanna keep the RAM as low as I possibly can make it, price wise.

Yea, I'm pretty much giving them my comp and they are buying me some new parts. Anyone have any better ideas? Thanks.

nah, the 6600GT will beat the 9800pro with the res at 1280x1024, which is assumably what ull run it at seeing as u have a 17"lcd

the 6600 gt will beat the pants off the 9800 pro, the ram is good, i have it in my current system. you will want the 939 socket so you can run dual channel ram there is the msi K8T Neo2-F for under 100. If i were you i would probably wait a little bit and save to get a better motherboard. but you should be able to come up with a pretty good gaming system with what you have

Give the folks your system. You can build a great one for yourself.

Actually, your system will be over-kill for them, but you get a new system out of it...

apokalipse said:
the benchmarks I've seen show the 6600 GT on top of the 9800 XT in HL2

anyway, I would suggest Kingmax RAM, for being fast but not expensive

Yeah the 6600GT just barely beats the XT in HL2

Regulus said:
Ok, I posted a thread about me building my parents a new comp, and I'll be giving them some of my parts (CPU, mobo, and possibly RAM and vid card)....ok that's about my whole system, but I had a couple of questions about performance and what they'll be doing:

1. I have a 9800Pro that cost me $171 about. I see here that the 6600 is cheaper and is better, correct? This new comp for my parents will be used for office work and some online video watching. Would it be beneficial to give them my 9800Pro and them buy me one of those 6600s in place for some other vid card?

2. I will be giving them my cpu (P4 2.8ghz) and my mobo (p4p800 se). They will, in return, be getting me an AMD, seeing that P4s are more app cpus and I do more gaming. I will hope to get a 64 3200. I believe the core I want is Winchester, correct? I want the cooler core and a socket 939, which is, if ram serves me right, is the better socket? And I also need a good mobo under $100.

3. I may as well let them have my 512 RAM. I check the ram usage meter and it is almost always a 80+% cause of the stuff I'm running. I found this . I want to conserve money as much as possible, and my previous ValueRam gave me no problems and it was cheap so I'm gonna get it again. Any suggestions? I really wanna keep the RAM as low as I possibly can make it, price wise.

Yea, I'm pretty much giving them my comp and they are buying me some new parts. Anyone have any better ideas? Thanks.

1) yes, get the gigabyte card with 500mhz core and 1.15 mem clock. It has a huge heatsink (no fan) with heatpipes. it's like 208$ i think.

2) Yes, you want the amd 64 3200 winchester. The gigabyte k8ns-ultra, and k8nxp are good motherboard choices. The MSI nf3 Neo2 is a decent board aswell.

3) You're going to want 2x 512mb ddr400 sticks. (to never have any problems playing games.) The samsung memory with heatspreaders is good stuff. It will take a 40mhz overclock (overclock to ddr480).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom