Couple of hardware questions - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 05-05-2003, 04:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Couple of hardware questions

Ok first off, I need a new video card for my computer, it's a dell dimension 4100 -1 GHz. I was thinking of the Geforce4 MX440 64MB. I was wondering if that would be a good upgrade for my computer? Also, I've been pricing that card on price watch, and was wondering which companies make a good card, or are they all pretty much the same? Also what price range should I be looking at? For example a Jaton Geforce4 sells for $35, is that a good deal or is it a piece of crap? I'm planning on building a new computer at the end of the summer, I basically need the video card to play EVE this summer

Old 05-05-2003, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Thats a good deal, but in your case I would spend just less the 50 bucks more and get the ATI Radeon 9500 128meg card. I think the main companies you would want to buy from would be ATI and probably NVIDIA. (not promoting ATI because I work for them). hehe

Search TF <b>before</b> posting!<form action=\"\" method=\"get\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"> <input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search!\"></form>
Old 05-05-2003, 05:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Depending on your needs and budget, either the GeForce4 Ti 4200 128 MB or Radeon 9500 Pro 128 MB will suffice... I would generally lean toward spending extra for the ATI product... equivalent or even better performance to that of a GeForce4 Ti 4600/4800.
Martin's Page of Stuff

I judge you when you use poor grammar.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

You can get a certain perspective on most companies by visiting their website. Is the support information you would need readily available in a clear, concise format? Are there support numbers?

Then I'd take a jaunt over to (bring a block of salt). peruse the write ups on your particular piece of hardware and keep these complaints (ignore the over jubilant praise...these are typically made by marketting goons) in mind as you make your final decision.

the last place to look would be plain 'ol reviews. just go to google and search. read a few and compare it to similar products.

from there you just need to take all of these factors together and let that be your opinion of the board.
Closed Thread