Couple component questions for an Alienware Area-51m 5500 Extreme Notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad4Sax2

Beta member
I'm going to be purchasing an Alienware Area-51m 550 Extreme notebook for when I go to college this fall, and am beginning research on them now. This is going to be a high-end desktop replacement, and will be used for all work, gaming, and multimedia needs of mine, so keep in mind I want the best possible computer. I am already set on this model.

I have two questions regarding the components, specifically the sound card and wireless card.

1) The Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy 2 comes in two varieties, the ZS internal PCMCIA card, and the external NX USB variety. I was wondering what the advantages and disadvantages between the internal and the external are. Obviously mobility, but what about capabilities for external speaker hookup, etc. What would be the best for a college student?

2) I'll require a wireless card for college, and was wondering which is better: the External Wireless 802.11a/b/g PCMCIA Card or the Internal Wireless 802.11a/b/g miniPCI Card?

Another thing to consider is that I only have one PCMCIA card on this notebook, so if I went with both the PCMCIA options (which are looking to be the better options to me right now), I would have to swap between the two? If I had to choose which one to go PCMCIA, which would be more advantagous?

I know little about notebook technology, so any advice or help people could offer would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom