Corrupted pictures :( I really need help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 01:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Corrupted pictures :( I really need help

Right... well we went to oregon, and besides me leaving my Minolta SRT101 (great old camera) ontop of the car, things went pretty well. Till I came home.... the pictures on the card (its an XD card) well, most of them are corrupted now. I don't really know what happend, it started loading the thumbnail views, and I think it froze so I tried exiting and it said the program was not responding (just windows explorer) so i open it again, and the last 30 thumbnails or so load, and the first one, but the other 170 never do. And i try previewing them, or opening them in photoshop, and it says there corrupted. When I try opening in photoshop it says "JPEG marker segment length is too short." So i'm thinking my computer is being weird. I stick it back in teh camera and try to view em, the last 30 work, the rest donw. Understand, they were working fine in the camera just before. So I'm thinking my computer messed them up, and im kinda pissed here.... if anyone could help me, I'd GREATLY appreciate it.

THANKS!

Old 07-01-2004, 01:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

try them on someone elses computer or camera

SOny vaio 2.66 ht ghz modded into raidmax case with green cold cathodes.
P4 2.8ghz HT, 512mb ddr, Intel KD865gbfl, onboard video, raidmax case, blue cathodes, round ide, loomed wires, 4x dvd burner, wd sata 80gb hard drive
Intel d865perl, 2.8ghz northwood, antec sonata, wd caviar 20gb, Corsair 512mbx1 for now. 380watt psu, ati 9600, dvdrom cdrw floppy in black too match case
Old 07-01-2004, 02:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

If you can't open them on a friend's computer, try and salvage what you can by 1st transferring the whole folder on your PC. These cameras are great but it is better to turn them off before plugging/unplugging them to your PC. Once your entire folder is securely inside your PC, reformat your XD card and test it by filling it with pictures and see if they all come out good. It might have been damaged by the heat.

P4 2.8 GHz
2 X 512 MHz PC3200 in dual DDR mode
Intel D865PERL MOBO
integrated 6.1 MAX audio
Logitech duo MX mouse and KB
ATI RADEON 9800 PRO
Old 07-01-2004, 02:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Wait a minute, the strange thing is, I don't connect the camera to the computer, I use a seperate USB connected reader. Which is why i dont think it will mater what computer I try it on. If 2 different readers (the camera, and the computer) arent working, then something needs to be fixed. I can't copy the files, because the computer doesnt know what the hell its doing because most the files are corrupted. So I'm kinda stuck here.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

If your XD card is like mine, once connected on your computer, you should see it as a drive. simply copy the entire folder, not only the files, onto one of your HDD and salvage what you can. Then reformat you XD in your camera, you should have an option under your setup. Note that all data will be wiped. Then fill card with pictures and check if they all came out good. If not, your card has gone Kaput on you.

P4 2.8 GHz
Intel D865PERL MOBO
integrated 6.1 MAX audio
ATI RADEON 9800 PRO
Old 07-01-2004, 04:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Right, but, if I try copying the files, the folder, It wont let me copy the corrupted ones. So all I can get is those 30 that arent corrupted, and we spent 5 days in oregon, its not like we go there ever... Itd be nice if there was a way I could get the other 170 pictures back. I mean, they are there, there just corrupted..... i cant move them or anything
Old 07-01-2004, 04:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I know that there is some software out there to retrieve data on a damaged or erased HDD, but the rest of it is out of my league. Maybe somebody else can help you. Did you think about bringing your camera to a shop, maybe they'll be able to do something about it. Best of luck.

P4 2.8 GHz
Intel D865PERL MOBO
integrated 6.1 MAX audio
ATI RADEON 9800 PRO
Old 07-01-2004, 05:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

I think unless you can get software to recover whatever it can of the pictures, you aren't gonna get them to open