Corrupt Attribute Record??

Status
Not open for further replies.

hereticiv

Baseband Member
Hey all, I've got a bit of a problem. Just recently I've been receiving "corrupt attribute record" errors when I run chkdsk. This is the first time this has ever happened to me. I did a search on the net and found a few articles that refer to the problem in Windows NT (I'm running Win XP) and NTFS drives. It said to run chkdsk /f to fix the issue and it is still happening. Does anyone have any experience with this issue? Also, I'm thinking about backing up all the important stuff to my 250gb drive and then reformatting...will that solve the issue. No funny noises or anything just slow drive speed (transfer, etc.) and that comports with the what is supposed to happen when attibutes become corrupt. Attibute become corrupt (supposedly when you add and delete large amounts of data to the point where the attribute record gets confused and starts to duplicate entries)

Second, little things in Windows are not working, I mean very little things. When I change the "my computer" to "family's computer" but just renaming and then reboot the name changes back, this also happens when I rename the "my documents" in the start menu...I'm starting to get pissed and I'm about to just reformat the C and D drives and start from scratch. (btw everytime I reboot is says I should run chkdsk and finds the "corrupt attribute errors again" - that blows)

Home Built
P4 3.2Ghz
Asus P4C800 Deluxe
1Gig Kingston Hyper X
1 60Gig HDD (system drive)
1 80Gig HDD (corrupt)
1 250Gig HDD (on the way)
Geforce 4ti 4600 (waiting for the NV40!)
Audigy 2

BTW, how do you format completely, I mean my system drive? I used to know how to do it from dos but that is long gone. should I just to a fresh install on my 80Gig drive after I reformat it in windows and then go into the new windows and reformat the 60 gig drive or what? Sorry, one more question, should I install windows on the 60 (oldest but still 7200rpm) the 80 7200rpm or the 250 7200rpm (newest and I think fastest)?

Oh, btw, I'm getting that corrupt attribute record error and the drive runs slowly, all programs work on the drive and I have had no file loss, also there are no damaged areas on the disk or lost space, merely performance degradation.

Thanks again

go to the Hard Drive Manufactuer site and download a utility that will scan the HD for errors test it in every detail .Write zeros to the drive for fresh install .Even format it for you :) .You`ll need to make a bootable floppy to use the tool .They`ll have all the instructions you need :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom