Core question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMajor

PowerQuest / Opera
Hey guys,

If a 1800+ and a 2000+ both have a Thornton core, does this mean they are exactly the same?

What are the differences?

2000+ has a slightly higher frequency. I'm not sure if there is more cache or not... I'll get back to u on that! :)

a little more details about my question:

they sell different CPU'like the AMD 2600+ and the 2800+
can these have the same core (for example the Barton) and still be different, wich means one is more overclockable.

As far as I know the speed of a CPU is set in the BIOS, so what does it mean when the package of a P4 says for example 2.4GHZ....does this mean the reccomended speed to configure in the BIOS is 2.4?

hope you will understand what I mean

I'm so confused

from the way I've been understanding it lately, the 2500+ barton has the exact same architecture as the 3200+ and the 2500+ has really great overclocking ability and stability with adequate cooling, anything better than stock basically. Its got 333FSB compared to the 3200+'s 400FSB, but they both have 512k Cache and then you can go into your BIOS and change the frequency from 166 to 200 incrementally getting there. So then basically you'll have a locked multiplier of 11x200 = 2.2GHz which is the same as the 3200+. I believe I'm going to attempt this because I have a better CPU fan coming in 3 days =) so here in a couple weeks I'm going to purchase the 2500+ and OC it to 3200+

btw when you look in your BIOS and look at the frequency, by default it'll be 166 and your multiplier should be 11 for the 2500+ chip, 11x166 = 1.83GHz

no, but maybe my dad is getting a new CPU, so I asked myself: do I have to change the FSB and multiplier in the BIOS before putting a new CPU in or does the BIOS detect it automatically?

well in your signature, it says "CPU: Pentium 200 MMX (Socket 7)" AMD athlon CPU's are Socket "A" or 462, not "7"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom