core duo and core 2 duo

Status
Not open for further replies.

aricav05

Baseband Member
I've searched the forums for a bit, but i couldnt find any topic related to the differences between core duo and core 2 duo. So, it would be great if someone could enlighten me on how these two types processors are different... aside from core 2 duo being newer

Core Duo, I believe is for laptops, in replacement of the Pentium M. And Core 2 Duo, is for desktops, replacing Intel's Pentium brand.

nah we just got an order of dell optiplex PC's with core duos in them not core 2's that i gotta set up.

**EDIT** on intel it says they are for laptops, why dells shipping them in pc's idk but glad i dont do the ordering.

ah, well i remember seeing some laptops with Core 2 Duos if i remember correctly...

but im not sure since i wasnt paying attention to them, can anyone confirm anything? XD

baronvongogo said:
The core 2 duo mobile version is called Merom has bigger L2 cache full support for EM64T and faster clocks.

Not all Core 2 duo in laptops have bigger L2 cache

Core 2 duo T5200, T5500 and T5600 have 2MB L2 cache which is the same as Core duo

Core 2 duo T7200, T7400 and T7600 have 4MB L2 cache.

Also, Core 2 duo doesn't have faster clocks. The clock speed in Core 2 duo ranges from 1.6GHz to 2.33GHz, the same thing for Core duo (except for "low voltage" or "ultra low voltage" versions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom