copy tapes to CDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

hilowe

Daemon Poster
I'm posting this here, because I have no idea what hardware I'm going to need to do this.

My father just bought a new truck, and it only has a CD player in it. He doesn't own a CD, just tapes, so my Mom asked if I could copy the tapes to CD for him.

I said I'd try, but that I have no idea what hardware I would need. I've got a sound card built into my computers mobo (MSI Neo2 865PE). Would I just be able to plug a tape player into that, so long as I find the right cable, and it that way? Or am I going to need something special?

Any help you guys can give me would be much appreciated.

You're on the right track. I used to collect live shows on tape and started to transfer the good quality shows to my computer and then to CD format. You'll need:
1 - Tape Deck
1 - RCA > mini 1/8 inch adapter stereo cable. This will come from the Left and Right Outs on the back of your tape deck to the mini-plug that you plug into the "IN" plug on your sound card.
You'll now need a piece of software to record the files that you are playing and record them in a .WAV format. I used to use GoldWave. This was a very simple (FREE) application that you can download and use to record the sound. Then, since you are basically recording one big WAV file, you'll have to cut these files into smaller WAVs by using GoldWave. You'll have to cut each song and save it into it's own WAV file. Then once you have the WAV files that make up one tape (as many as you can fit), you can then just burn the files to a CD.
I know it sounds very complicated, but it's a very simple process. Let me know if you need any help.

-Mike

Cool, thanks Mike.

Actually sounds fairly easy. I'll start when I've got some extra time.

Mike,

So you need a Y RCA (2 ends plugs into the L and R of the stereo and the other end plugs into the Audio IN of your computer)? Do I need to ugrage my soundcard? I just have what came with my Dell 2400.

I found a software called Pyro, the makers claim that you can transfer LPs and Cassetes and you can even clean them. Anybody have feedback on this?

My Parents wants to save their disco tapes to CD, haha.

Thanks in advance.

all you need is the ability to transfer the sound into the "in" port on your soundcard, and a program to record them in, as far as being able to clean them, i dont know how software would do that, but maybe they offer some hardware with the software package

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom