Cooling Question - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 11:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to Gimmick Send a message via Yahoo to Gimmick
Default Cooling Question

My friend is considering buying a "80W Potted Peltier" I've never seen one of these before... But it says

"This is an 80W peltier with bare leads with the suggested use for video card peltier coolers. Using the peltier cooling effect, one side gets very hot as the other side gets freezing cold. Ideally used for water cooling as water cooling can keep the hot side of the the peltier from burning out the entire unit."

He already has thermaltake's Aquarius II, and he was just going to go with a large heatsink for his vid card, but now he's thinking about this, and a water block for it.

What ya'll think.

Thanks, Gimmick

Old 09-20-2003, 12:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Does a "peltier" really help that much, or would it be as good, and not quit as much over kill, to just use the water block? Oh, and BTW, he has the ATI Radeon 9800 w/ the 256 of Memory.

And since you seem to have some knowledge of how a peltier works, would it be a good idea to use one on a CPU?

Thanks, Gimmick

Old 09-22-2003, 09:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Lostman Send a message via AIM to Lostman Send a message via Yahoo to Lostman

Overkill isn't the word.

I say if you have the money to replace what you could break, then go for it because there is a good chance you'll break something.

There are a couple major drawbacks from using a Peltier. 1 is heat. While 1 side cools real well, the other gets pretty damn hot and can generally raise case temps if not put into check. Second is condensation. Peltier's can get sooooo cold that you have to worry about them sweating <sp?> all over your cpu being cooled.

I suggest that whoever is thinking about doing this really weigh the pro's vs the cons.

www.lostman.us
Old 09-25-2003, 11:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks, You've really help us in making our decisions. {:-)
Old 09-25-2003, 11:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

if youre that worried about heat, i would just go with a water system, as the peltier will lower temps for the component(s) its connected to, but will raise temp in the case, heating up everything else, unless you could figure out some way to have the "hot side" out of the case, then it would just heat the room (be careful not to burn your leg off if you bump the case, lol) and like lostman said you should be wary of "sweat" it could kill ur machine in a heartbeat
Old 09-28-2003, 05:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I've been thinking, if a peltier is really like what you guys are saying, what would you think of using like deathangle said, for cooling it. Say if I were to cut a hole in the top of my case, and put the peltier in the hole. Then, mount a heat sink & fan on the top, and the bottom, of the peltier. using it to "suck" the heat out of the case, and into the room. Do you guys think it would lower the case temp. enough to be worth anything?

Just an idea.

Attached is a quick sketch of the basic idea.

-Gimmick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg powersupply.jpg (20.2 KB, 21 views)

Closed Thread