cooling problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEd

Baseband Member
i just built myself a computer, and im having some serious issues with cooling right now. its got a p4 2.8 ghz processor, 512 ram, 128 mb radeon 9200 video card, and an 80 gb hd. right now ive got a fan for my processor, and one case fan, and the one in the power supply. this is the tower i have http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=674553&Tab=1&NoMapp=0

ive tried putting the case fan on the bottom there with white part blowing into the computer. ive also tried it on the back of the computer blowing out of the computer, but that realy realy made it hot inside. the whole computer seems to be hot but by far the worst is my video card, that was extremely hot after i put the fan in the back. would putting a second casefan on the bottom blowing into the computer, and keeping the other on the back blowing out solve my problem with cooling. thats all i can think of to fix it. anyone have any ideas how to cool this?

yea the fans are all fine, im gonna proply go buy another one in a little while. hopefully another can help. and the temperatures, how would i find what its running at, do you need a special termoniter for that?

hmmm just looked at my computer again and looks like im out of outlets on my power supply it looks like if gonna put another fan in im gonna have to unplug my burner. or is there something else i can do so i could plug the fan in and keep my burner pluged in.

You can buy a molex spitter, it will take one molex connector and split it into two connectors, you can also buy a splitter for a 3 pin connector as well. Also, as far as the heat inside the case,, a proper fan placement is what you need, one fan is not enough, but then to many fans can be bad as well. You will want the air flow to be from front to back and also you will want a positive air pressure in your case, what that means is you have more air going in then going out. You will need to check on the CFM rating of the fans you install in your case and make sure you have more CFM going in than going out. Also, maybe you need to change the fan for your cpu, it may not be generating enough CFM, I would say that if you are not overclocking that P4 2.8, you will need 35 CFM and up to keep it happy. Also the exhaust fans should be as close to the cpu as possible, that will give you a greater possiblility of getting the hot air generated by the cpu out of the case as effieciently as possible. Good Luck!!

my processor seems to be the only part that is fine, this is the fan i have for that http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=561013&Sku=U10-8400
and my case fan i have is one of these http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/Sku.asp?PageType=1&Sku=505840
il proply be buying a 2nd one of those, were should i have those placed and which way should each be blowing. from what i see i can only put in two case fans on the back and on the bottom. im also looking at this to cool my video card, but were would i put this if i got it http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...tails.asp?EdpNo=674628&Sku=V13-2200&CatId=498

Your case fans at the back of the case should be blowing out of the case, the fans should have arrows on the shroud of the fan to show the direction of the blades and the flow of the air, for the back of the case you will want the air flow to be going out of the case. Do you have a place at the front of the case for another couple fans? You should have,, and you will want to place a couple fans there as well and those fans you will want the air flow to bring air into to the case. As far as the video card you can get what is called a rear expansion fan, it sits in an expansion slot directly under your video cards and draws the air away from the video card and directly out of the case. here is a link for one

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...tails.asp?EdpNo=39598&Sku=S457-1005&CatId=804

These are easier to work with and work fine, if you are not familar or comfortable placing a fan directly on the video chip on your video card.

hmm my case doesnt have anywere to put fans in the front just on the bottom and back, but i could somehow i guess put a fan right under my cd drives theres no port but it looks like one would fit id just have to figure out how to keep it in place. and ive seen those fans you said, i didnt know were they went though, so id just put one of those in the pci port right next to the video card and that should help cool the card?

I took a look at the pics for your case,, you have two spots for fans,, the one at the back and the one on the bottom,, I would suggest to place the intake fan at the bottom and the exhaust fan at the back and use the expansion exhaust fan for the video card and yes you would place that fan in the pci port right next to the video card. Hope it all goes well for you!

thanks il proply go buy another case fan and one of those other fans in a little while, il proply have to buy some splitters also.

when you touch your video card is it supposted to be realy hot, because mine card still is running pretty hot. the added fans though seem to be working atleast some, but i havent checked the temperatures yet after its been on after any length of time. when it first turns on, the cpu is running at 100 degrees F, and the computer is 80 degrees F. thats when i first turn it on. im pretty concerned about my video card though thats why i dont have temperatures after its been on for a while. also what are good temperatures for a compuer to run at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom