Cooling the 9800Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laser

Baseband Member
I have been recently reading up on overclocking the 9800Pro to a 9800XT. When reading the reviews, they said that the cooling that comes with it is barely enough to cool the 9800Pro(not overclocked). So I began wondering, what kind of heatsink and fan would really be sufficient for what i want to do. I was looking around and i came across a fan and heatsink at www.hardcorecooling.com. I was wondering if this one would be the answer for what I really want to do. Here is the link.....

http://www.hardcorecooling.us/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=114

If you insist on overclocking your rather expensive video card, keep this in mind:

The design of the RADEON 9800 XT board is an extreme departure from the RADEON 9800 PRO, as you no doubt can see in our pictures. A considerable amount of the boardÂ’s circuitry has been replaced with higher quality components -- the most notable example being the voltage regulator modules. ATI has redesigned the board for operation at higher clock speeds; weÂ’ve been told that the parts have been qualified for higher power and consequently to take more heat.

That was part of a review for the 9800 XT.
Ok, look. No matter how much you overclock your Radeon 9800 Pro, it is NOT an XT.
The components are not identical.

Besides that, have you ever looked at the benchmark scores for the XT?
The increase in performance is negligible.
The only time there is a significant increase in FPS, is where the frames per second are already in the hundreds, and therefore irrelevant.

You going to risk ruining your $250-300 card for 5 more frames per second?
I have a better idea. Don't.

Yeah I would suggest the artic cooling aswell that soloman has suggested, I have it on my 9800Pro and it keeps it nice and chilly cold. The fact the fan fits over the card keeps the cold air being circulated around the card ON the card and not just flying around aimlessly like the usual fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom