As a consumer, are DVD burners wise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProdigyMytch

Solid State Member
I've been wondering if DVD burners are efficient and ready for computers by now, I've heard around that many of them cause hard drive issues and stuff, but I wasn't sure if that was true. Also, does the ratio of expenses to blank DVD discs to DVD's that actually allow copying worth the while? Of course, I mean back up files and not illegal distribution. Also, are the DVD burning programs complicated, or are they just programs like Easy Creator or Record Now or whatever?

Next to a network card, I think that the DVD burner is one of the most impressive tools a computer has to offer. They are perfectly efficent in computers today, I even have one in an old Duron 1.29Ghz proccesor and it works just fine.

Rewritable DVDs are truly a marvel, I have my 45GB Media drive archived on 9 or 10 RWs, which may have taken close to 50 CDs.

Burning DVDs are really foolproof, burning a DVD in Nero is exactly the same thing as burning a CD, no tricks or confusion.

ProdigyMytch said:
I've been wondering if DVD burners are efficient and ready for computers by now, I've heard around that many of them cause hard drive issues and stuff, but I wasn't sure if that was true. Also, does the ratio of expenses to blank DVD discs to DVD's that actually allow copying worth the while? Of course, I mean back up files and not illegal distribution. Also, are the DVD burning programs complicated, or are they just programs like Easy Creator or Record Now or whatever?

Most of these problems were issues in 2000, 2001.
they have long since been resolved. burning dvds is as simple as cds now

picked up a Sony DVD rw/r/cd dual layer today for burning 8.5 gigs of data/dvd on a single CD gigin awsome man :)

Pioneer, Sony or LG are my 3 favourites

sony and Pioneer's support + and - format
LG supports DVD-RAM also

DVD movies are mostly dual layer, but burning to dual layer has been harder that's why they've only got them now

With how much data computers store anymore, CD-RW drives are on the way out for backup purposes. My personal pictures alone require a DVD. I love my DVD-RW. I thought it was my best purchase I ever made to add onto my Dell. I got an 8X NEC and it works great.

If you are going to get one though, make sure it is a dual-layer writer.

Due to how data is increasing in size, yes cd's are not the best option, but the media is cheap. I picked up a 100 spindle of tdk for 15$us.

DVD's will soon take over completely.

As for dual layer dvd's is there a website that gives information? I have seen very little about them.

AND_YOU_ARE said:
As for dual layer dvd's is there a website that gives information? I have seen very little about them.

Review of a Sony Dual Layer DVD-RW with some info on Dual Layer writers:
www.extremetech.com

Review of my favorite Dual Layer DVD-RW (NEC):
http://www.extrememhz.com/nd3500a-p1.shtml

I just recommend these cause if you buy a regular DVD burner, these will surpass them soon and make the old DVD Burners obselete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom